A three-year-old girl was "lifeless" after eating a Kinder chocolate treat, days after the company issued a recall on a range of Kinder products.
Last week, thousands of Kinder Easter chocolates were pulled from supermarket shelves across Australia over salmonella fears, with more products being added to the list over the weekend. Countries including the UK, France, Germany and Belgium were also affected.
Mum Charlotte Elizabeth Wingfield, from the UK, detailed her daughter's condition on Facebook admitting the three-year-old looked "dead behind the eyes" after suspected salmonella poisoning.
She claims her daughter Brooklyn-Mai was left with a 39C temperature with her energy depleted a day after eating the contaminated treat.
In a post on Facebook on Friday, Ms Wingfield explained Brooklyn-Mai had been "so, so poorly" since picking her up from pre-school a few days prior.
“Seeing as I was so ill last week, I thought nothing of it than her just coming down with the tummy bug I had until she slept for 21 out of the following 24 hours and then kept falling asleep as she was doing things," she wrote.
"Her temperature spiked to over 39° and I struggled to disturb her. I knew something wasn't right and spoke to the GP who ran through a list of what it could be."
Convinced it was a viral bug, the worried mum didn't think anything else of it.
"Fast forward three days and it's been confirmed she has salmonella from the Kinder chocolate she ate on Sunday," she said.
“It's been absolutely heartbreaking to see my usually fiery, adventurous and very active baby girl be the complete opposite of everything she usually is.”
On Monday, thinking her daughter was "slowly perking up", Ms Wingfield revealed things took a bad turn.
"She was in an extreme amount of pain so we ended up back on the phone and then to the hospital this morning," she said.
Kinder recalls Easter chocolates in Australia
Ferraro, who makes Kinder, issued the recall in Australia last Thursday, before adding several products the contaminated list over the weekend.
Food Standards Australia and New Zealand warned Aussie consumers not to eat the affected products, warning "salmonella could cause illness if consumed."
The affected products were manufactured in Belgium, though other Kinder products, including Kinder Surprise 20g single and three-pack eggs in white, blue and pink varieties, that were made in Italy are not impacted by the recall.
The affected Kinder products are:
Kinder Easter Basket 120g (6x20g): 19300698000619
Kinder Mini Eggs Hazelnut: 100g: 19300698020242; 270g; 9300698503618; 750g: 9300698503618
Kinder Surprise Maxi (Miraculous) 100g: 19300698018591
Kinder Surprise Maxi (Natoons) 100g: 19300698016528
Kinder Surprise Xmas Maxi (Disney Frozen 2021) 100g: 9300698502246
Kinder Surprise Xmas Maxi (2021) 100g: 9300698501935
Kinder Maxi Xmas Mix with Plush (2021) 133g: 9300698504004
Kinder Xmas Happy Moments Ballotin (2021) 190g: 9300698503960
Salmonella cases linked to Kinder reported across Europe
The first food alert in the UK was issued on Saturday, April 2, according to The Sun, but a possible salmonella infection was first suspected at the end of March.
"Several cases of salmonellosis have been reported in Europe for several weeks," Belgium's Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain (FASFC) said in a statement.
"At the end of March, a link was suspected between these infections and the Ferrero factory in Arlon. The link was later confirmed."
The BBC reported there have been more than 60 cases of salmonella in the UK alone, many of which are young children.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.