Advertisement

Iranian journalist discharged from hospital after being stabbed outside London home

Pouria Zeraati smiling and holding up the peace sign in his hospital bed
Pouria Zeraati smiling and holding up the peace sign in his hospital bed

An Iranian journalist who was stabbed outside his London home has been discharged from hospital.

Pouria Zeraati, who hosts a show on the Persian language network Iran International, was attacked as he left his house in Wimbledon on Friday.

Counter-terrorism police continue to investigate the incident and no arrests have been made yet.

Following his discharge, Mr Zeraati said he and his wife were living at a “safe place” under the Met’s supervision.

He posted on X: "The amount of your sympathy, kindness and love in past few days has been and is the greatest and best energy for my recovery process."

On Saturday, Mr Zeraati posted a photograph of himself holding up the peace sign with his hands while still in hospital.

The Metropolitan Police said they were called at 2.49pm and that the victim, in his 30s, suffered an injury to his leg.

It comes as a neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said the attackers were “laughing” as they fled the scene.

The man said he was walking down Queensmere Road with a friend and witnessed the aftermath.

He said: “It’s a very quiet suburban road and we saw two young men sprinting towards us, about 20 yards away and then got into a car. They sped off.

“It felt odd. The two men were laughing, quite clearly laughing. I looked two of them in the eye - they were no more than a cricket pitch length away from me.

“We took the number plate and about ten seconds later there’s a man trying to flag us down. We tried to give first aid and take his jeans off.

“He had been stabbed, I think four times. He had his jeans on and he had a pool of blood on his leg. It was [awful] to see.”

The neighbour said that the police arrived within minutes and that the victim kept shouting that he was a journalist. He said he does not know the victim personally.

“He was panicking and got someone to call his wife. He is going to be fine but he was bleeding quite a lot.”

“It’s really out of character for the area,” he added. “It was targeted, not a random attack.

“A lady I spoke to was shocked. The police were saying they had never been here before.”

Commander Dominic Murphy, head of the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, said: "We continue to assess the circumstances of this incident and our investigation is making progress, but I am not yet able to provide further information about any motive behind the attack.

“While officers continue to follow active leads, I am not in a position to release further information about our enquiries into those responsible.

“However, I can confirm that I am confident these suspects do not present a risk to communities of London or the UK.

“I appreciate the concern this incident has caused, for local people as well as for those in similar lines of work and from Iranian communities.

“We are working closely with the victim’s organisation and additional patrols are continuing in the Wimbledon area and at other locations in London. If you have any concerns, please do speak with these officers.

“I am grateful to everyone who has assisted officers with their enquiries or provided witness accounts to police.

“Dedicated officers and specialists from across the Met are continuing to work at pace with partner organisations to establish exactly what happened and identify those responsible.”

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call police on 0800 789 321.