'Imagine your skin falling off': Couple left with severe burns after cooking spray explodes
WARNING – GRAPHIC CONTENT: A young couple have been left nursing third degree burns after a can of cooking oil exploded in their kitchen.
Jacob Dalton was cooking dinner on a gas burning stove at the home he shares with his wife Paytene, 20, in Utah on Tuesday, according to a GoFundMe page.
Mr Dalton told Yahoo7 he had used an aerosol can of PAM and placed it on a metal shelf above where he was cooking.
The 22-year-old is not sure how, but he believes the heat from the pan must have reached the can and caused it to explode.
“It set both of us on fire,” Mr Dalton told Yahoo7.
“The adrenaline kicked in and I dropped and rolled – I couldn’t exactly feel the pain at this stage but I was still very aware I was on fire.
“It’s winter here, so once the door was opened and the cold air came in it I felt the most excruciating pain I’ve been in in my whole life.
“Imagine your skin falling off.”
Shocking pictures show the severity of the couple’s injuries.
Mr Dalton suffered third-degree burns to his face while his wife suffered third-degree burns to her arms.
Both have other burns on their bodies too – Mr Dalton on his neck and arms, while his wife also has some burns on her face.
To the credit of neighbours and paramedics, Mr Dalton said it took less than seven minutes to be hospitalised at the University of Utah Hospital.
Both are currently still there; Mrs Dalton is expected to be discharged in a few days while her husband could remain for a few weeks.
The couple hope Mr Dalton will be out of hospital in time for Christmas, however both will need time off work to recover from their injuries.
“We won’t have normal lives until next year,” Mr Dalton said.
“We’ve had so much support from a lot people though and we’d really like to thank them all.”