'I thought I was dead': Victorian father bashed at work after police 'ignored' his calls for help
FIRST ON 7: A Broadford father claims police ignored the death threats made against him before he was savagely bashed at the mechanic shop where he works.
On Thursday morning father-of-five Mario Montalto received a death threat over the phone while at work.
Ten minutes later two men burst into his workshop north of Melbourne and attacked him and his apprentice with an iron bar, a claw hammer and knuckle-dusters.
"I thought I was dead. I didn't I didn't think I was coming out of this," he told 7 News.
Most of the blows were delivered when he was on the ground and trying to protect himself while his apprentice Larry Omran was struck to face and body.
"I was getting hit from a hammer… iron bar and it just didn't stop," he said.
Snow falls across Victoria on one of the state’s coldest June days in years
The 49-year-old was airlifted to the Alfred Hospital in a serious condition, but he is recovering now with broken bones and frayed nerves.
Two men believed to be father and son have been charged over the attack.
A 28-year-old and a 69-year-old are facing charges including intentionally causing injury, assault with a weapon and aggravated burglary.
Mr Montalto said he contacted police several weeks ago about alleged death threats and extortion.
They were also called to his house last week after a person was caught on security camera vision lurking around in his backyard.
Mr Montalto is fighting to keep is business alive but is still terrified the attackers might come back to finish the job.