'He is going to kill me': Angela Jay relives horrific attack at hands of Tinder date

She had been stabbed 11 times. Gasoline had been poured over her body, burning her eyes, mouth and skin. As she waited for an ambulance to reach her, Dr Angela Jay thought she was going to die.

A man she met on dating app Tinder less than two months prior, had broken into her home and hidden in her wardrobe, waiting for the 28-year-old to get home from work.

“I didn't actually feel him stabbing me but I could see the blood when I looked down and I just thought in my head, ‘he is actually stabbing me, he is going to actually kill me’,” Angela told Melissa Doyle in an emotional Sunday Night interview.

“I was so scared and I felt so alone.”

Angela Jay thought she was going to die during the horrific attack.
Angela Jay thought she was going to die during the horrific attack.

The attacker, Paul Lambert’s sick obsession with Angela began when the pair started dating after meeting on Tinder.

Paul, an insurance manager from Sydney, was charming and attentive and appeared to tick all the right boxes.

But six weeks in to their relationship, Angela began to feel smothered.

“It was a lot very early on. It was all very fast,” Angela said.

She decided to end their relationship - but Paul wouldn’t accept that it was over.

Desperate to stay in contact with her, he created fake profiles on social media. He threated to harm himself. He bombarded her with calls and texts.

And then, he showed up on her doorstep.

“He was there waiting for me,” Angela said.

“I gave him his things and told him to leave my property and that I never wanted to speak to him again, ever.

“He was scaring me and I told him, ‘You’re scaring me and I just really want you to go away’.”

Paul Lambert stabbed Angela 11 times before dousing her in petrol.
Paul Lambert stabbed Angela 11 times before dousing her in petrol.

But somehow during their brief exchange, Paul had managed to steal several keys to her home and continued to taunt her through text messages.

“You’re not safe in your house.”

“I have stolen your keys.”

“You need to go to your neighbour’s house.”

Angela figured out which keys were missing and removed any door handles that were accessible. She kept her windows locked and her curtains drawn and reported the incident to police.

Hopeful that Paul had left town, Angela went to work as normal.

But little did she know, she was being watched.

Paul had checked himself into the Rotary Lodge next to the hospital where Angela worked.

From the window in room 17, Paul could watch over the car park and see when Angela arrived and left work.

“I was so ashamed that I was in this situation at all. Like, I am a doctor, I am going to be an obstetrician, I care for people, I don’t need to be taken care of, I can take care of myself, I fix things, I don’t need help,” Angela said.

Angela had no idea Paul was watching her every move.
Angela had no idea Paul was watching her every move.

On Wednesday 2 November 2016, Paul visited the local Bunnings hardware store and purchased a hammer, a crowbar and cable ties.

The next morning he stopped at a Caltex petrol station and filled up a five-litre jerry can.

He then made his way to Angela’s home, slipping through the bushes at the back of her house and jumping the back fence.

When Angela arrived home around 5pm she ate dinner in the lounge room, completely unaware the crazed stalker had broken into her home and was hiding inside her walk-in wardrobe.

Almost an hour later, when she went to change her clothes, Paul struck.

“As I was turning the corner to enter my bedroom, he jumped out at me and I screamed and he put his hand around my mouth so that I couldn't scream and looked me in the eye with a really intense look and said: ‘It's OK, I just want to talk’,” Angela said.

“I just made a run for it and he of course caught me and then I just suddenly saw this knife in his hands.”

But even after stabbing her repeatedly, Paul’s sickening attack was not over.

“Then he raised a big rectangular can over my head and started pouring petrol over my head and my eyes were burning and it got in my mouth, it got in my ears.

“I can’t even explain the horror you feel when you know that somebody is trying to set you on fire,” Angela said, crying at the painful memories.

“I was just terrified that any second I would go up in flames.”

The petrol on Angela’s skin made it easier to slip out of Paul’s grasp, and suddenly she was running for her life.

As she ran out her front door and down her driveway, her neighbour Steve Willdern was already rushing to her aid.

In the safety of his garage, Steve directed his daughter to phone police while he tended to Angela’s wounds.

While Angela was being transported to hospital in the back of an ambulance, Paul Lambert was already fleeing Port Macquarie.

For two hours he drove north on the Pacific Highway towards Coffs Harbour, only stopping when police threw spikes in front of his hire car.

When Paul got out of the car, he was holding a knife and threatening police.

The officers tried to taser him but it didn’t work and he kept advancing on them.

Finally, they opened fire, shooting him multiple times. Paul Lambert died at the scene.

When Angela heard the news from her hospital bed, she felt an overwhelming sense of relief.

“He was gone and he couldn’t hurt me anymore or come back to get me one day,” she said.

Angela has joined White Ribbon and is preparing to hike the Larapinta Trail.
Angela has joined White Ribbon and is preparing to hike the Larapinta Trail.

For Angela, survival has given her a new sense of purpose.

The horrific experience inspired her to join White Ribbon, the national campaign against domestic violence.

To raise awareness, she is training for White Ribbon’s Trek for Respect, a week-long hike on the tough Larapinta Trail in the Northern Territory.

“I feel like I didn’t die for a reason and that I now am here to make as much of a difference as I can and to help as many people as I can,” Angela said.