Woman's devastating final hours before tragic death

·3-min read

Excruciating details of the final hours of a woman's life have emerged following confirmation from authorities that she took her own life. 

Saniyya Dennis, 19, went missing from her dorm at Buffalo State College in New York on April 24 after an argument with her boyfriend that resulted in him breaking things off, news site WIVB reported. 

Erie County District Attorney John Flynn told reporters Thursday (local time) the 19-year-old continued trying to call her boyfriend after their heated exchange about midday, but was unsuccessful.  

At one point, she told him she was going to take her own life, Mr Flynn said.

Saniyya Dennis.
Saniyya Dennis is believed to have taken her own life in the early morning hours of April 25. Source: WIVB

In another conversation with a male friend, she said she had planned to take her own life, and told a third friend while on a four-hour phone call later that evening, according to Mr Flynn.

While on the phone, she said she was reconsidering her plan, and had begun feeling better than she had earlier in the day, the district attorney said. 

At about 11pm, an hour after the phone call, she began throwing items from her dorm into a rubbish bin. The items were not listed, but indicated she did not plan on returning, Mr Flynn said.

After throwing the dorm items away, Ms Dennis' bus card was used on a nearby bus, then a second bus travelling to the Niagara Falls Visitor Centre. 

Ms Dennis messaged her mum about midnight, saying she loved her and would call her the next day, and messaged a friend to tell him she wouldn't see him in the summer months. 

Niagara Falls.
Ms Dennis was last seen on video was around 12.17am on the bridge along Goat Island Road at Niagara Falls. Source: Getty

She was captured on security video at 12.17am on a bridge near the famous waterfall, where she received a text from a friend that said to call him or he would call the police. 

He called her and they spoke for about 45 minutes, during which Ms Dennis said she was going take her life.

At about 1am she took a photo of herself posing with a Nikola Tesla monument using Snapchat, with Niagara Falls visible in the background. 

She messaged a friend about 20 minutes later telling him she had spoken with her mum and was heading back to Buffalo.

That appeared not to be true, with her phone dropping from the network minutes later, indicating it was either turned off or destroyed. 

"My office and our partners in law enforcement have found no evidence of any criminality in this case," Mr Flynn said in a statement.

"All evidence indicates that Saniyya ended her own life, but the investigation into her disappearance will not be closed until she is found."

He told reporters Ms Dennis' parents were in disbelief about her death and unable to fathom their loss with her body not yet being found.

Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636, Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.