Advertisement

Final photo of slain Aussie killed in Gaza

Zomi Frankcom is believed to have been killed in Gaza. Picture Facebook.jpg
Zomi Frankcom, 43, was killed while delivering aid in Gaza. Picture: Supplied

The family of an aid worker who was killed in central Gaza have shared the last photo she sent to them.

Lalzawmi “Zomi” Frankcom, 43, was one of seven aid workers killed during an Israeli air strike while leaving the Deir al-Balah warehouse on Monday.

The Melbourne-born aid worker was volunteering with World Central Kitchen and had just unloaded more than 100 tons of humanitarian food aid, when the rockets hit.

Her death was confirmed by Anthony Albanese on Tuesday morning, with the Prime Minister demanding “accountability” from the Israeli government.

Zomi Frankcom is believed to have been killed in Gaza. Picture Facebook.jpg
The Melbourne-born woman had been delivering lifesaving meals to civilians in Gaza. Picture: Facebook
Zomi Frankcom was killed in Gaza. Picture Supplied.JPG
Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom, 43, was killed in Gaza. Picture: Supplied

Ms Frankcom’s family in Australia broke their silence later that evening, saying they are “reeling from the shock” after learning of her death.

“We are deeply mourning the news that our brave and beloved Zomi has been killed doing the work she loves delivering food to the people of Gaza,” the family said in a statement.

They also shared one of the final photos she shared with them before crossing into Gaza on Monday.

The 43-year-old wears a bulletproof vest and helmet as she offers up a small smile to her loved ones.

“She was a kind, selfless and outstanding human being that has travelled the world helping others in their time of need,” her family said.

“She will leave behind a legacy of compassion, bravery and love for all those in her orbit.

Her family have said they are “reeling in shock” over her death. Picture: WCK/ Instagram
Her family have said they are “reeling in shock” over her death. Picture: WCK/ Instagram

“We are still reeling from the shock and we humbly request privacy during this difficult time.”

Speaking to Today on Wednesday morning, Foreign Affairs minister Penny Wong was grilled by co-host Sarah Abo who said the government's response to the war has not been “strong enough”.

“Let us be clear about where responsibility, lies for this. And let us not confuse issues, I have been very clear from the start. Israel should observe international humanitarian law,” Wong said.

“That means the protection of civilians, and that means the protection of aid workers and that means the provision of aid into Gaza.”

Israel’s prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu took responsibility for the air strike, on behalf of the Israeli Defence Force, on Tuesday afternoon.

“This happens in wartime. We are thoroughly looking into it, are in contact with the governments [of the foreigners among the dead] and will do everything to ensure it does not happen again,” he said in a video statement.

RALLY for PALESTINE
Crowds gathered outside the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade office in Melbourne on Wednesday. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Valeriu Campan

Israel’s top diplomat in Australia Amir Maimon also shared his condolences following Ms Frankcom’s death.

“My team and I at the Embassy of Israel in Australia mourn the death of Australian humanitarian worker Zomi Frankcom,” Ambassador Maimon said.

“The IDF does and will continue to do everything in its power to prevent harm to civilians.

“Israel will thoroughly investigate this tragedy to guarantee the safety and security of aid workers in Gaza.”

Zionist Federation of Australia president Jeremy Leibler said, “Ms Frankcom was part of the vital humanitarian resupply efforts by World Central Kitchen. Her death is a tragedy.”

“Israel has acknowledged that her convoy was hit by Israeli fire and has expressed deep regret. This was the result of a terrible mistake,” he said.

The federation president argued “Ms Frankcom’s death is ultimately the responsibility of Hamas”.