Father found dead with daughters and woman near Norwich taken to hospital by police weeks before deaths

A father who was found dead with his two daughters and a 36-year-old woman in a house in Norfolk was taken to hospital by police weeks before his death.

Bartlomiej Kuczynski, 45, was found with a stab wound to his neck at a house near Norwich, on 19 January.

Kanticha Sukpengpanao, 36, Jasmin Kuczynska, 12, and Natasha Kuczynska, eight, were found with stab wounds to their necks at the same property. Their deaths are being treated as murder, police said yesterday.

Mr Kuczynski's death is not being treated as suspicious, and officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths.

Weeks before the incident, on 14 December, police attended the same property in Costessey in relation to a missing person inquiry.

It has now emerged that on the same day the missing person report was filed, Mr Kuczynski was taken to the emergency department at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital by police.

He later left the unit after he was assessed as having "mental capacity".

"We can confirm that the patient was taken to the emergency department by police on December 14," a spokesperson for the hospital said in a statement on Thursday.

"Following a comprehensive clinical assessment, the patient was assessed as having mental capacity and he left the unit before being reviewed again by the team."

Read more UK news:
'Nowhere safe to be Jewish' - Dame Maureen Lipman
NHS consultants narrowly reject government pay offer
Time to 'think the unthinkable' and consider UK conscription

The four bodies were discovered by police at the house in Allan Bedford Crescent at 7.15am around five weeks later, after a 999 call from a concerned member of the public.

The police force has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) due to the contact on 14 December, as well as a separate 999 call that was made by a man from the house on the same day the bodies were found, that did not result in the deployment of officers.

During the phone call, the man expressed concerns for his own mental state, saying he was confused, but was advised by police to seek medical advice, Charmaine Arbouin, IOPC regional director, said on Tuesday.

Norfolk Police has said it will investigate and will be examining if the contact its officers had with the man was "appropriate and in line with force policy, training and procedures".