A teenage girl’s craving for a late night snack has left her family homeless after she accidentally set their kitchen alight.
Linda Barrett’s western Sydney home went up in flames on Tuesday night when her 16-year-old daughter decided to make a batch of frozen chips.
She told News.com.au her daughter poured oil in a frying pan and placed a lid on the top before walking to get the chips out of the freezer.
When she took the lid off, the oil was introduced to oxygen and ignited “instantly”, she said.
“We are so lucky she wasn’t injured, it could well have killed her. She screamed and ran to my bedroom.
“We have a fire blanket, and I threw it on the stove, but (the fire) had drawn up through the range hood,” she told the publication.
It took 15 fire crews to extinguish the massive blaze, which spread through the home’s ducted air-conditioning unit.
The family has been quoted $350,000 to repair the damage and been dealt the devastating news that they don’t have home insurance.
The step-daughter of Ms Barrett, who found out her monthly payments were only covering her car insurance, has since created a fundraiser for her family.
So far, it has raised almost $4,500.
“My mum and sisters have been made instantly homeless and lost everything.
“I have all faith of rallying the community, friends and family to help them get back on their feet.
“I am unsure of the ability to try and find the possible $350,000 needed to repair the home, however I would at least like to help them feel like they can make some moves forward in starting again,” Natalie said.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.