Family of girl electrocuted by tap to sue government

The family of an 11-year-old girl left with a catastrophic brain injury is suing the state government.

Denishar Woods received a powerful electric shock of 230 volts when she turned off a tap at her Beldon housing authority home on March 3.

The 11-year-old was almost killed, but has since defied medical expectations and can now travel in a wheelchair.

Despite her progress, she is unlikely to ever fully recover and requires 24-hour care.

Denishar Woods, 11, has defied the odds since she was shocked by 230 volts when touching a garden tap at her WA home. Source: 7News
Her mother, Lacey Harrison, is now suing the state government over her daughter’s injuries. Source: 7News

Denishar’s mother, Lacey Harrison, will be seeking compensation from the WA government claiming it failed in its duty of care.

Levitt Robinson Solicitors will confirm on Monday the family have acquired their services to act on their behalf.

The firm will look to secure compensation on behalf of Denishar, allowing her to live comfortably for the rest of her life.

Her brain injuries have left Denishar needing 24-hour care. Source: 7News

“She obviously has a very substantial claim against the Department of Housing,” Stewart Levitt, senior partner at Levitt Robinson Solicitors, told 6PR radio on Monday.

The findings into what happened are still being investigated by the Office of Energy Safety.

In March, EnergySafety director of electricity compliance Mike Bunko said the fault was likely an upstream “open circuit neutral”, which could be caused by corrosion, a loose connection and in some cases, poor workmanship.

With Denishar facing a lifetime of care, the family have set up a GoFundMe page to help cover the costs of her lengthy rehabilitation.

An investigation is still ongoing into how this tap left Denishar with catastophic brain injuries. Source: 7News