Victoria’s streak of daily cases under five continues as the state continues to provide evidence it is firmly en route to successfully suppressing its second wave.
The Department of Health and Human Services announced three new cases on Wednesday – the sixth consecutive day cases have remained below five.
It follows one case on Tuesday which may be chalked off as health authorities investigate whether the case in question is "shedding" non-infectious fragments of the virus after earlier testing positive.
If removed, Tuesday would mark the first day since June 9 that the state has reported no new cases.
Metropolitan Melbourne’s 14-day rolling average has fallen to 6.2 while mystery cases over a two-week period have dropped to 10.
The corresponding figures for regional Victoria remain steady at 0.4 and none.
The state once again recorded zero deaths in the previous 24 hours, with its death toll remaining at 817.
"I'll stand here on Sunday and hopefully be able to confirm for Victorians that when it comes to retail, pubs, restaurants, cafes, bars, as well as a number of other settings that we can [reopen],” he said.
He ruled out easing restrictions before Saturday’s AFL grand final.
Cox Plate backflip
The Victorian government has also backflipped over its controversial call to allow a select group of spectators on course for the 100th running of the Cox Plate after intense political and online backlash.
Racing Minister Martin Pakula apologised after just hours earlier announcing up to 500 racing connections would be able to attend Moonee Valley for Friday night's Manikato Stakes and Saturday's Cox Plate.
He said he'd spoken to the Moonee Valley Racing Club on Tuesday night and the decision had been reversed.
"It was a mistake, given that other restrictions remain in place, and we've heard the community feedback," he tweeted.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.