Coronavirus Victoria: More than 400 cases as death toll soars again

Victoria’s daily coronavirus cases are in the 400s for a second consecutive day, while a further 11 deaths have been confirmed.

Premier Daniel Andrews revealed 439 new cases on Tuesday.

While it follows 429 cases on Monday, nearly 300 less than its peak of 723 on Thursday, Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton has previously been reluctant to predict cases are stabilising from just two days of data.

The state recorded a double-digit daily death toll once again on Tuesday, after a joint-record 13 deaths on Monday.

The state’s death toll now stands at 147 and 232 nationally.

It is the fourth time the daily death toll has been in double digits in the last 10 days.

There has now been 64 deaths in the last seven days.

Tuesday’s confirmed victims are one man in his 70s, one man and three women in their 80s, two men and three women in their 90s and one woman who was in her hundreds. All were connected to aged care facilities.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

‘Unacceptable’ behaviour prompts stringent new lockdown

Mr Andrews announced further restrictions on individuals who have tested positive to the virus or have been asked to isolate after he said hundreds were still not at home when they were meant to be isolating.

Anyone who has been instructed to isolate must now remain on their property for the entirety of their two-week isolation period, or will face a $5000 fine.

“I can confirm that the ADF, together with important authorised officers from the Department of Health and Human Services have conducted more than 3,000 doorknocks of people who should be isolating at home,” he said.

“More than 800 of those homes, the person who should have been isolating could not be found. That is completely unacceptable.”

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews slammed those not isolating after testing positive, announcing stricter rules as a result. Source: ABC
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews slammed those not isolating after testing positive, announcing stricter rules as a result. Source: ABC

Previously anyone who had tested positive was allowed outside for brief exercise and fresh air if social distancing could be maintained.

“From now, there will be no exercise, if you are supposed to be isolating at home. You will need to stay in your home or on your property. Fresh air at the front door. Fresh air in your front yard or backyard or opening a window,” he said.

The only exemption to the new rule is to seek urgent medical care, Mr Andrews said.

“You must stay at home. There is simply no alternative. This thing is so wildly infectious. If you've got it and you go out, you're almost certainly spreading it,” he said.

Police Minister Lisa Neville says there is a minority still “knowingly doing the wrong thing”.

“[They are] putting people's lives at risk by doing so. It's ridiculous. It's unacceptable. And it is dangerous. That's why we've put in place extraordinary powers,” she said.

Fines for repeat offenders can rise to $20,000.

An additional 250 police, 500 ADF and 300 health staff will monitor the compliance.

"That team is growing substantially and that means every single positive case will be door-knocked multiple times, random and repeated doorknocks," Mr Andrews told reporters.

On Monday, Mr Andrews announced all retail stores will close across Melbourne from Wednesday for the remainder of the state’s Stage 4 lockdown, apart from those deemed essential.

During Stage 4 restrictions a curfew is in place between 8pm and 5am while households will only be allowed one person to leave the home for shopping a day.

Residents cannot go further than 5km from their home while out.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.