A man who visited Sydney’s The Star casino has tested positive for coronavirus.
The Star Entertainment Group released a statement on Monday confirming the patron was inside the casino on July 4 from around 7.30pm to 10.30pm.
“The Star is working closely with NSW Health to respond to this information, including the conduct of contact tracing (which includes staff members),” the casino said.
The Star is working with NSW Health to conduct contact tracing, including staff members.
Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said on Monday during a press conference the man had no symptoms when he went to the casino and may have not been infectious.
“It is sometimes unclear, particularly when people have very mild disease, the exact time of onset or infectiousness.
“We also advised that he was largely maintained within his group and really did not interact with anyone else, but obviously we have let the community become aware of the sites web people may have been at who may have been infectious, but as I said we are taking a very cautious approach,” she said.
The casino is cleaned daily from 6am to 10am. Since its restricted reopening on June 1, The Star has encouraged patrons to maintain social distancing and good hygiene.
The casino has been fined $5000 for a health order breach after patrons were seen standing and mingling while drinking on Saturday night, according to the ABC.
Twenty-one cases linked to Crossroads Hotel
The man has been included in NSW Health's Monday case total of 21 new cases, with another seven cases linked to the Crossroads Hotel breakout in Casula.
Ten people who recently visited the pub, including a teenage pub worker, a Sydney woman in her 40s and a Victorian man in his 20s who had already had the virus, have tested positive.
Another 11 people connected to them have also become infected, including a woman in her 60s, a woman in her 30s and a child, all from south-western Sydney.
"The hypothesis is this could have been introduced through contact in Victoria, but we have to remain open-minded," Dr Chant said.
All patrons of the Casula pub, who entered from July 3 to 10, must now self-isolate and are being urged to get tested as a precaution.
The outbreak has prompted the closure of another venue for cleaning, as one of those infected attended Picton Hotel on July 4, 9 and 10.
Dr Chant listed several venues across the state that may have been exposed to coronavirus through the latest cases between July 4 and 10.
This includes: The Star casino, Merimbula RSL, the Waterfront Cafe in Merimbula, Picton Hotel, Narellan Town Centre, Planet Fitness gym in Casula, Canterbury Leagues Club, Cook at Kurnell, Highfield in Caringbah, Murray Downs Golf Club and Zone Bowling in Villawood.
NSW Police Minister David Elliott on Monday issued a stern warning to the hospitality industry as well as patrons as a result of the escalation in cases at pubs and clubs.
"We cannot afford to have these sorts of slips when it comes to the restrictions that are in place allowing our hospitality industry to begin the road to recovery," he said.
"Patrons also have to take responsibility. If we have to close hotels and pubs again the patrons will have to take some of the ownership of that."
Gym confirms virus infection
On Sunday night, Casula's Planet Fitness gym confirmed on its Facebook page that a member had returned a positive test for coronavirus.
"The member has not been at the club since Friday 10 July, and is in quarantine," the gym's letter to members said, adding that staff were in self-quarantine and it was following NSW Department of Health advice.
The gym has been closed and is being disinfected.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.