New concerning case emerges as NSW Covid numbers rise

·News Editor
·3-min read

NSW has reported five new coronavirus cases as authorities continue to urge people to get tested if they show any symptoms.

Acting NSW Premier John Barilaro told reporters on Wednesday one of the new cases is a person who has arrived from overseas while two are linked to the Berala cluster and another was a household contact of a case in Avalon.

There are concerns however about another case from Western Sydney, which has not yet been linked to the BWS in Berala or anyone from that cluster.

The case which was a household contact in Avalon was a man in his 20s but Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said he has been in isolation for the full infectious period.

A general view of The Corso in Manly with a COVID-19 notice.
A number of people walk along The Corso in Manly. Source: Getty

Another case was from Western Sydney and was a household contact of a previously reported case whose source remains under investigation. Dr Chant said however it was likely linked to the Berala cluster.

The second case linked to Berala reported today was an 18-year-old man who travelled from Sydney to the regional towns of Orange, Broken Hill and Nyngan.

The mystery case was identified in a man in his 30s in Western Sydney, and Dr Chant said he had no direct links to the Berala BWS or the Berala cluster.

“We are very cautious about finding any of those missing chains of transmission,” she told reporters.

“So we’re continuing to call for anyone who went to either the BWS or Woolworths in Berala, between December 20 or December 21, to check our website for testing advice.

“Depending on the time you were there, you may be a close contact.”

Mr Barilaro said as of 8pm on Tuesday, 32,667 people were tested in the state.

NSW residents’ ‘weapon’ to fight virus

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard urged people in NSW to get tested for coronavirus if they had any symptoms whatsoever.

“Every resident in NSW has a potential weapon to defeat this enemy, this virus, and that’s by getting tested,” he said.

“Please, please do it.”

Mr Hazzard added while the cricket test planned for the Sydney Cricket Ground will still go ahead tomorrow, residents from a number of suburbs will not be able to attend.

People who live or work in Auburn, Lidcombe, Potts Hill, Rookwood, Wentworthville and Belmore are banned from visiting the SCG.

“If you do attend, if someone else has brought you a ticket, you may be stopped by the very large police presence. If you can’t prove you’re living outside those areas, you’ll be exposed to a $1000 fine.”

Alerts for new venues in Sydney’s west

Authorities on Tuesday night issued alerts for a number of venues in Sydney's west including Merrylands RSL, an Indian restaurant in Parramatta on December 28 and the Sydney Murugan Temple at Mays Hill on New Year's Day.

Alerts were also issued for a social cricket match at Ollie Webb Cricket Ground in Parramatta on December 28 and a Pendle Hill seafood shop on January 3.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting