Advertisement

Christmas decorations sold across Australia recalled over deadly feature

Customers have been urged to immediately stop using the decorations and store them out of reach from children.

Christmas decorations have been pulled from shelves after a feature was found to not meet mandatory safety standards, posing a dangerous risk to children.

The 'Christmas light-up gnome tree decoration' is available in four different colours and all are operated by a button battery, not securely fastened inside the decoration, meaning it can easily be opened and accessed by children.

Four Christmas decorations which resemble gnomes with fluffy white beards and pointed, knitted hats with 'Mum' or 'Harry' on the front.
The Christmas decorations don't meet safety standards for button batteries. Source: Product Safety Australia

The decorations were sold in more than 240 news agencies, gift shops and homeware retailers across the country between October 2022 and earlier this month.

Customers are advised to immediately stop using the decorations and store them away from children, or take them back to the place of purchase for a full refund.

Button batteries can be fatal

Button batteries are notorious for their health risk to children as they can easily become lodged in a youngster's throat and be a choking hazard which can be fatal.The battery can also cause severe internal burns in the oesophagus and stomach if it gets stuck.

Earlier this year a Queensland family rushed their one-year-old daughter to hospital after she was choking and vomiting, only to learn she had swallowed a button battery from an unknown source.

For years there have been campaigns to ban these types of batteries from children's toys because of the risks they pose to youngsters, with Aussie parents who have lost their children leading the charge. Consumer advocacy group CHOICE is also behind the campaigns, calling for stricter regulations on the sale of potentially dangerous products.

At least one child in Australia needs to go to the hospital every day because of button battery ingestion, with at least one severe case reported every month, according to Sydney Children's Hospital Network.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and YouTube.