Crime figure Macchour Chaouk identified alleged killer with last breath

Jacqueline Le

Melbourne crime figure Macchour Chaouk's murder remains unsolved even though he allegedly named Ahmad Haddara as his killer with his dying breaths.

The 64-year-old was shot once in the chest on August 13, 2010 in the backyard of his Brooklyn home as his wife Fatima stood nearby with their one-year-old grandson.

As he lay dying, Mr Chaouk allegedly told his wife that Ahmad Haddara had shot him, police told a Victorian Coroners Court summary inquest on Thursday.

Macchour Chaouk was shot dead on August 13, 2010 in the backyard of his Brooklyn home, western Melbourne. Photo: AAP

She told police her dying husband said Haddara's name up to three times.

Detectives searched the Haddara home within hours of the shooting, and forensically analysed the accused man's clothes for gunshot residue.

Haddara was also arrested and interviewed by police but he denied any involvement.

He told police he had been home all day and had first learnt something had happened to the Chaouk family from the news.

Police tactical response officers arrive at the home where Macchour Chaouk was shot dead. Photo: AAP

Haddara also said his family used to be friends with the Chaouks and used to visit their home.

But this changed after the murder of his son, Mohammed Haddara, who was gunned down in front of his parents' Altona North home in 2009.

Haddara said he suspected the Chaouks were behind his son's murder.

Investigators did not find evidence linking Haddara to Chaouk's murder and Haddara died of natural causes in 2012.

A member of the Hells Angels covers his face as mourners gather other outside the Preston Mosque attending the funeral of underworld figure Macchour Chaouk. Photo: AAP

Police told the inquest that Ms Chaouk said the shooter pointed the gun towards her and her grandson before he got into a silver coloured vehicle and left the area.

None of the Chaouk family was in court for the inquest.

In her findings, state coroner Sara Hinchey confirmed the circumstances of Chaouk's death but said there was nothing a coronial inquest could do that would result in his killer being identified.