Update after Sydney tunnel crane fire

Assignment Freelance Picture Sydney's Lane Cove Tunnel is closed in both directions because of a
 truck fire in the eastbound tunnel.
A fire broke out in a major Sydney tunnel about 6.30am on Thursday.

A crane fire in a major Sydney tunnel that halted traffic at the start of morning peak hour has now been cleared and traffic is flowing.

The mobile crane was on fire on the eastbound side of the Lane Cove Tunnel; diversions had been in place but were lifted just after 9am on Thursday.

Government agency Transport for NSW reported the fire about 6.30am on Thursday.

The Lane Cove Tunnel was closed because of a truck fire. Picture: Live traffic
The Lane Cove Tunnel was closed because of a truck fire. Picture: Live traffic


“Traffic is already heavy, especially towards the city, so motorists are advised to allow plenty of extra travel time,” a government advisory reads.

Transport for NSW spokesman Craig Moran told 2GB that motorists should avoid the area.

“There has been a fire involving a mobile crane which has resulted in the Lane Cove Tunnel being closed in both directions,” he said.

Traffic in the area is heavily congested. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Jeremy Piper

“That’s purely for safety reasons … of course all the traffic is being diverted up onto Epping Rd.

“Our advice for people at this stage if they haven’t headed off on their journey yet, if they can avoid that lane cove tunnel area up there up at lane cove that would be fantastic.

“It’ll help bring congestion down and they’ll probably have a smoother trip.”

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said the internal sprinkler system extinguished the fire.

Four fire trucks were delayed because of the traffic and arrived about 14 minutes after the call came in, he said.

Assignment Freelance Picture A crane fire in the Lane Cove Tunnel has diverted traffic to Epping\n Road. Picture: NSW Government
The fire has diverted traffic to Epping Rd. Picture: NSW Government

Firefighters donned breathing apparatus but when they arrived at the vehicle the sprinkler “deluge” system had put out the fire.

The Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman had no information about the cause of the fire or how many vehicles were stuck in the tunnel behind the fire.

The bus lane was opened to alleviate congestion. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Jeremy Piper

Police would need to make sure anyone who got out of their vehicles was accounted for, the spokesman said, but there were no reported injuries.

The tunnel would be reopened within a couple of hours, which indicated there was little to no damage to the underpass, he said.