Investigators searching for evidence into the disappearance of William Tyrrell have honed in on an area of bushland, just four kilometres from where he was last seen.
The then three-year-old boy vanished from his grandmother’s yard in the NSW Mid North Coast town of Kendall in September 2014.
Using information uncovered by Strike Force Rosann this month, detectives have now identified an area of bushland at Cedar Loggers Lane and Batar Creek Road as an area of interest.
Some 50 members of the NSW Police Public Order Riot Squad were called in to scour three square kilometres of bushland at the end of William’s grandmother’s street earlier in June.
Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin at the time said investigators were not ruling out that William was still alive – but admitted they held very grave concerns.
Since then investigators have questioned suspects, investigated sightings and seized thousands of pieces of evidence but found no proven links to William.
Police hope that by leaving no stone unturned they’ll be able to prove William did not simply wander into the bush and succumb to misadventure.
Tuesday was his seventh birthday and a Facebook page dedicated to helping find William said the day marked another “heartbreaking year” without him.
“If he were home, he would be opening his presents and running through the house laughing and playing with his new toys,” the post said.
“It’s been 1384 days since we last saw William and for every single one of those days our thoughts have been of William – hoping he is being loved, hoping he is being cared for; and hoping that soon William will be found.”
There is a $1 million reward for information that leads to the recovery of William. The search is expected to run into early July.