Buckingham Palace wary The Crown will damage King Charles’s image with Diana affair plot
Buckingham Palace is braced to defend King Charles when Netflix airs The Crown this autumn and offers a potentially explosive dramatisation of his relationship with ex wife Diana.
A Firm insider told reporters on Sunday that viewers need to remember the drama series is “not a documentary,” when the 10-part saga, which charts the royal characters, returns from November 9. It is the first series to air since the death of Queen Elizabeth II.
A YouGov survey has found approval ratings for King Charles have soared since he took the crown. When asked ‘Will Charles make a good king?’ in May around 30 per cent said ‘yes’ but the rating has now risen to almost two thirds of respondents.
However, by depicting events from some of the monarch’s darkest years, royal insiders are reportedly worried that his reputation could take a hit only two months into his reign.
HM King Charles III - In pictures
Charles, played by Dominic West and Diana, Elizabeth Debecki, are touted as being at “all out war” at times throughout the 1990s-set fifth series.
A trailer shows the couple preparing to face the media as news of their separation is announced.
Netflix has not delayed releasing its take on the events of 1992, the Queen’s “annus horribilis” when the Princess Royal divorced Mark Phillips, the Duke of York separated from his wife, and Windsor Castle partly burned down. All episodes will be viewable immediately.
“What people forget is that there are real human beings and real lives at the heart of this,” the source said.
They reportedly said Netflix has “no qualms about mangling peoples’ reputations”.
The NSW premier has invoked a taco ad's tagline while defending the snubbing of Roads Minister Natalie Ward after she failed to move into the Liberal Party's safest seat.Ms Ward, an upper house MP and one of three Liberal women in cabinet, lost a preselection contest on Monday night for the seat of Davidson to former premier Mike Baird' s ex-staffer Matt Cross.
A convicted terror advocate who referred to the Christchurch mass murderer as a hero and a saint will have restrictions imposed to "control temptation" after his release from prison.Tyler Slavko Jakovac will be required to use Australian Federal Police-approved devices such as a laptop, tablet or mobile phone and will have access restrictions placed on internet platforms and services.
The local share market has finished higher after treading water this morning, with the mining sector leading the rebound on rumours that China's leadership might relax its harsh zero-COVID policies.The benchmark S&P;/ASX200 index on Tuesday finished up 24.
NSW doctors and medical staff working in private practice say they need greater protection from aggressive patients, amid reports they are being threatened, sworn at, slapped and punched.An Australian Medical Association (AMA) survey of 378 medical practices in NSW found 88 per cent had been verbally abused by a patient, while 37 per cent had experienced physical aggression.
Gunfire has crackled from inside a Mogadishu hotel as Somalia's special forces battled al-Shabaab militants more than 12 hours after the Islamist group stormed the building in the heart of the capital.The assault underscores the continuing ability of the al-Qaeda-allied militants to stage deadly attacks with sometimes high casualties inside the city even as President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud's government pursues an offensive against them.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has raised America's ongoing legal pursuit of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange with US officials, again declaring "enough is enough".The 51-year-old Australian has been in London's Belmarsh prison since 2019 as he continues to fight extradition to the US where he's wanted on espionage charges.
Fines worth millions of dollars issued to thousands of people in NSW for breaching COVID-19 restrictions are being withdrawn by the state's revenue agency.NSW Revenue says 33,121 fines will be scrapped following a landmark decision in the Supreme Court on Tuesday that found details of the offences were insufficient.
A former Tasmanian premier regrets not doing more to ensure the safety of children in state care, following harrowing evidence at an inquiry into sexual abuse.David Bartlett, premier from 2008-11, also questioned whether the state's troubled Ashley Youth Detention Centre should remain open.
The financial sector is stronger than during the global financial crisis, making it less likely markets will again suffer the severe shock that sent the world into an economic meltdown.Senior Reserve Bank of Australia official Jonathan Kearns says reforms introduced after the 2007 crisis left the financial sector more resilient, which meant it didn't suffer a repeat collapse when the COVID-19 pandemic hit.
The top two Republicans in the US Congress have broken their silence about former president Donald Trump's dinner last week with white supremacist Nick Fuentes, saying the Republican Party has no place for anti-Semitism or white supremacy.Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy, who might become Speaker of the US House of Representatives when Republicans take control in January, had not commented previously on the November 22 meeting.
South Korea has extradited a murder suspect to New Zealand, two months after she was arrested following the discovery of the bodies of two long-dead children in abandoned suitcases.New Zealand police said the woman arrived at Auckland Airport on Tuesday after they sent three officers to South Korea to bring her back.
Resources Minister Madeleine King says a cap on gas prices is an option, as the government seeks to finalise a policy to drive down energy bills.The Australian Council of Social Service says regulation of the market is needed to ease the "crushing" cost of living facing three million Australians living in poverty.
The federal government has beefed up Australia's version of the White House's situation room to make it even more nimble when dealing with life-threatening disasters.An upgrade of the technology and logistics capabilities of the National Situation Room has been completed by the National Emergency Management Agency, in line with the 2020 recommendations made by the bushfires royal commission.
Prince William and his wife Kate are flying out to the United States for their first visit for eight years, as an intense media spotlight on the British royal family and the sons of King Charles shifts across the Atlantic.The new Prince and Princess of Wales' departure on Wednesday will mark their first overseas excursion since the death of Queen Elizabeth, which meant William - Charles's eldest son - became the heir to the throne.