Brave teachers say they cannot 'comprehend' Wales school stabbing as they leave hospital

Police at Amman Valley school, in Ammanford, Carmarthenshire (PA Wire)
Police at Amman Valley school, in Ammanford, Carmarthenshire (PA Wire)

Two teachers who were injured in a stabbing at their school in Ammanford, south Wales, have issued moving statements as they leave hospital, thanking emergency services.

Fiona Elias and Liz Hopkin were injured in a stabbing at Amman Valley School in Carmarthenshire at the end of morning break on Wednesday.

A pupil was also hurt in the incident, which plunged the school into lockdown. All three have since been released from hospital.

Ms Elias, the school’s Assistant Headteacher, said she would like to say “a huge thank you” to well-wishers after the stabbing, adding she was “deeply indebted” to the emergency services for their care.

“Many thanks also to the Air Ambulance for their excellent care of my colleague, Liz. This is another example of how vital this service is to us in Wales,” she said.

“Three of us were taken to hospital with injuries, but this incident has had an enormous impact on my colleagues and the wonderful pupils we have at Ysgol Dyffryn Aman.

“I cannot comprehend what staff and pupils experienced on Wednesday.

“I would like to thank all members of staff for prioritising the welfare and safety of pupils at the school for four hours, and the pupils for responding so maturely and sensibly in a situation that no one expects to happen.”

The scene at the school in Ammanford (PA Wire)
The scene at the school in Ammanford (PA Wire)

In her own statement, Ms Hopkin, a special needs teacher, also thanked medics for their care, adding: “Ysgol Dyffryn Aman is a big part of my life, and it is hard to comprehend that this has happened.

“However, I would like to take this opportunity to thank our school community for all the support and kind messages that I have received. I have been overwhelmed by the kindness from the close community that we have here.

“I believe what we need now is time to reflect on what has happened and therefore ask for privacy for the school, myself and my family, so we can take this time to reflect and recover.”

The incident plunged the school into "code red" alarm emergency, forcing students and staff to hide in classrooms - with one pupil reportedly vaulting the school fence to get to safety.

The lockdown lasted around four hours between 11.20am and 3.20pm, resulting in an anxious wait for parents who tearfully hugged their children after they walked through the gates.

Earlier on Friday, a teenage girl accused of the stabbing was remanded to youth detention accommodation after being charged with attempted murder.

The 13-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, showed no emotion as she appeared in the dock at Llanelli Magistrates' Court.

Speaking only to confirm her name and address, the teenager, who wore a grey jumper, looked small next to the courtroom staff who surrounded her.

She was charged with three counts of attempted murder and possession of a bladed article on a school premises, and will next appear at Swansea Crown Court on May 24.