'Blood everywhere': Shock new details after Aussie exchange student poisoned

The woman detailed what she saw at 24-year-old Alex Shorey's apartment after he fell violently ill from rat poisoning.

An employer of Queensland exchange student Alex Shorey has revealed shocking details of what he endured after falling violently ill from rat poison in Taiwan.

Taiwanese businesswoman Elly Chen said she employed the 24-year-old Toowoomba local to teach children English, while he was undertaking a one-year "opportunity of a lifetime" program at Tamkang University.

Claiming he started to feel sick in late March, Ms Chen visited his apartment to discover there was "blood everywhere".

A photo of Elly Chen, a woman Alex Shorey was employed by to teach children English in Taiwan.
Elly Chen, a friend and employer of Queensland exchange student Alex Shorey in Taiwan, has described what she saw at his apartment after he reportedly ingested rat poison. Source: 7 News

“I came to his apartment and I saw blood everywhere," the 42-year-old mother told 7 News. "Blood on pillow and tissue.

"He had lost his appetite, was dizzy and had nose bleeds. I said, ‘Alex I think you have to go to ER’," she recalled.

His brother, Jean-Luc Shorey said he also had "blood in his urine", The Courier Mail reports.

Driving him to Taipei Medical University Hospital — where he would later remain for a month in a critical condition — the young man was reportedly diagnosed with food poisoning and released that day.

Police investigate 'girlfriend' after poisoning

Ms Chen then stayed with him overnight to make sure he was okay, offering to have him over at her place. However Mr Shorey told her he would be staying with a female friend, believed to be the woman now under investigation.

The Taipei Times claims the woman in question is Mr Shorey’s Taiwanese girlfriend and said she has not yet been arrested or charged. She allegedly told authorities she intended to consume the poison herself after a fight with the 24-year-old, but he accidentally did so instead, the publication reported citing Chinese-language media.

A theory initially believed by Mr Shorey's family that he accidentally ingested the poison while eating street food has been rejected by police.

Poisoned student Alex Shorey landed in Brisbane last Wednesday. Source: The Courier Mail
Poisoned student Alex Shorey landed in Australia last Wednesday. Source: The Courier Mail

Ms Chen said the last time she saw Mr Shorey was on March 27 — before his health began to deteriorate further — but kept in touch over text.

"A month ago he is a happy, outgoing, friendly, big boy," she told 7 News. "All the parents, students love him a lot."

As of last Wednesday, the 24-year-old finally returned to Brisbane with the help of his family and a huge $208,662 GoFundMe effort to have him transported in a medical charter that cost $172,000 or more and isn't covered by insurance.

"Thank you once again to everyone who has supported and cared for Alex in his journey so far. Your kindness, generosity and support will live with us always," an update read in the GoFundMe organised by Mr Shorey's aunt.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.