Police have found a six-month-old baby in a motel room "virtually unresponsive" after his mother died from an apparent drug overdose.
Springfield Police in the US state of Oregon responded to a call to assist the Department of Human Services with a welfare check at the Quality Inn and Suites on Monday, March 7.
When they arrived they found the baby strapped in a car seat and his 28-year-old mother dead.
Police confirmed in a media statement heroin was found in the hotel room although it was not stated if that contributed to her death.
Baby had been strapped in the seat for days
The baby was rushed to a local hospital by medics before being flown to a hospital in Portland for life-saving treatment suffering from severe dehydration, malnourishment and severe nappy rash.
The investigation revealed the overdose had happened days before the police were called and the infant had been in the seat for four days.
During the investigation into the woman's death, officers found what is now considered a non-criminal user amount of heroin in the room.
Springfield Police Department is crediting the Department of Human Services employee who followed up after-hours that evening for saving the child’s life.
According to an update from Springfield police, the child’s condition has improved dramatically and they are in the process of discharging him.
The mother's name has not yet been released.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.