Baby's life-altering injuries after being 'shaken' at daycare
A distraught mum is urging parents to "trust your instincts" after her baby spent nine days in the ICU with suspected Shaken Baby Syndrome — a traumatic brain injury caused by violent shaking.
Katie Dorn, from the US, said she was asked to pick up her four-month-old son Maverick from daycare because he wasn't feeling well, but later that night she knew something wasn't right.
Ms Dorn and her husband rushed their baby to the children's hospital in St Paul, Minnesota, where doctors told them he'd suffered a "brain bleed and multiple other injuries" she claims.
"His injuries are highly suggestive of Shaken Baby Syndrome and he has suffered significant trauma, including a brain bleed," Ms Dorn said.
"We spent nine days in ICU due to a disgusting act of frustration."
Ms Dorn claims an incident at daycare caused Maverick's injuries and there's an ongoing "open criminal investigation" to get to the bottom of it.
While she couldn't "say much more" she claims the daycare centre has since been "shut down".
Baby may suffer 'lifelong' injuries
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a baby has weak neck muscles and a large, heavy head, so shaking makes the fragile brain bounce back and forth inside the skull and causes bruising, swelling and bleeding.
This can lead to permanent, severe brain damage or even death.
The devastated mum has detailed Maverick's journey on TikTok, sharing heartbreaking pictures of her baby strapped up to wires as his tiny body lays on the hospital bed, seemingly unaware of what's going on around him.
At one point the young baby was having 13-minute long seizures with the "helpless" mum admitting she "didn't think he would make it". And she said doctors thought the same.
Despite this, young Maverick made an "astonishing recovery" and was sent home last month, but the family "still have a long road ahead," Ms Dorn said.
The family are now raising money to help with Maverick's recovery. The money will go towards hospital bills and ongoing medical support, "which may be lifelong".
Family's tragic final text before dying in national park: 'Help us'
Teen reveals disturbing energy drink addiction: 'Almost died'
Mum discovers son's incredible secret after his death in freak accident
"Mav is on medication 3 times a day to control his seizures. He has multiple doctors appointments, MRIs, and X-rays these next few weeks," it said on the family's Go Fund Me page.
Outpouring of support from strangers
Ms Dorn is now raising awareness about the dangers of Shaken Baby Syndrome.
"This was 100 per cent preventable," she said.
"Please keep us in your prayers as we embark on this new journey."
There has been an outpouring of support online as strangers admit the devastating news has left them "heartbroken".
"I’m so beyond sorry. It’s horrific that daycare SHOULD be a safe place for kids and it just isn’t always. My heart is broken for your family," one person wrote
"Our hearts are broken for this little guy. He is in our thoughts and prayers constantly. I can't imagine how devastated you all are," another said.
Others pray for a "full recovery" as they keep the family in their prayers.
The family have so far raised over $26,410.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.