Advertisement

Major probe on baby boy’s sudden death

SHOOTING FAWKNER Presser
Detectives are investigating the circumstances that led to the death of a four-month-old baby. Picture: NCA NewsWire /Brendan Beckett

Detectives have launched an investigation into the sudden death of a four-month-old baby on Queensland’s coast last month.

The boy was taken to Bundaberg Hospital, north of Brisbane, by ambulance from an Electra St residence at 5.18pm on February 26.

The baby was flown to the Queensland Children’s Hospital early the next day before he died in hospital on March 3.

Detectives from Bundaberg Child Protection and Investigation Unit and specialist police from Crime and Intelligence Command’s Child Trauma Unit have launched an investigation.

A public appeal for information has also been launched as investigators piece together the events leading up to the boy’s death.

Detective Acting Inspector Wade Lee addressed the media at Maryborough police station on Tuesday afternoon and said there were a “number of issues” surrounding the baby’s injuries that “aren’t explained”.

“At about 5pm on Monday, the 26th of February, police were made aware of an incident that had occurred at Electra Street in Bundaberg where a four-month-old child had received injuries and was transported to Bundaberg Hospital,” he said.

“As a result of the injuries suffered by that four month old child that child has died on Sunday.”

SYDNEY MURDER
Detectives are investigating the sudden death of a four-month-old baby in Bundaberg West. Picture NCA NewsWire/ Gaye Gerard.

However, he said there were no other signs of abuse or neglect on the baby.

“This is a particularly delicate and sad incident because of the vulnerable nature of the child,” Mr Lee said.

He also confirmed the baby’s family was not known to Child Protective Services and do not have any other children in their care.

The parents, who are indicated to be teenagers, are assisting police with their investigations.

“Police are currently dealing with the couple but as you can imagine this is a very distressing incident for the couple, so we are dealing with them and we are moving through the investigation as best we can,” Mr Lee said.

“We understand at this stage that the couple and the child have moved around town on the day in question so we’re wanting to hear from any members of the community about the movement and the activities around the couple and the deceased child.”

Nobody has been charged in relation to the incident, and a post-mortem is yet to be conducted.

Anyone with information is urged to come forward by contacting Policelink (www.police.qld.gov.au/reporting) or Crime Stoppers (call 1800 333 000 or report online at www.crimestoppersqld.com.au).