Australia's most wanted terrorist has reportedly been killed while fighting for Islamic State.
Former Kings Cross bouncer Mohammad Ali Baryalei had been the alleged mastermind of a shocking plot to snatch a stranger off the streets of Sydney and behead them.
The Afghan refugee, also part-time actor, is believed to have helped send scores of Australian fighters to the wars in Syria and Iraq.
Speaking to the media on Wednesday afternoon, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said the Government is trying to confirm reports of Baryalei's death.
The ABC claims Baryalei may have been killed four or five days ago.
Authorities say 33-year-old Mohammad Ali Baryalei has a trusted position in IS operational command and has been involved in the recruitment of at least 30 Australians for the conflicts.
Last week, Baryalei reportedly re-established contact with extremists back home.
The Australian reported that Mohammad Ali Baryalei made several phone calls to a man who was a target of last month's police raids in Sydney.
The claims came amid reports Ali Baryalei recruited the "Ginger jihadist", Abdullah Elmir, through western Sydney street preaching group Parramatta Street Dawah.
Elmir, 17, who ran away to join Islamic militants in Syria, is believed to be a pawn of terrorists who "groomed" him just like pedophiles groom victims, a terror expert says.
The Federal Government is seeking emergency powers to target and possibly kill Australian jihadists fighting overseas with radical groups such as Islamic State, The West Australian has exclusively revealed.
The coalition wants to give the Australian Secret Intelligence Service power to inform the Australian Defence Force about the whereabouts of Australian foreign fighters.
If approved, Australian spies could potentially pinpoint Australians fighting in Iraq, allowing RAAF jets to target them in bombing missions.