Massive bushfire that burned for 74 days in NSW finally extinguished

Locals on the NSW south coast are applauding the efforts of emergency services following the news a massive bushfire has been extinguished after burning for more than 70 days.

"As of 8pm tonight, the Currowan Fire burning in the Shoalhaven has been set to out," NSW Rural Fire Service announced on Facebook on Saturday night. 

The blaze burnt for 74 days and across 499,621 hectares, spanning right across the region and spreading to neighbouring councils including Eurobodalla, Wingecarribee and Queanbeyan Palerang. 

A total of 312 homes were destroyed and 173 were damaged.

"Tremendous work by firefighters and residents saw 1889 homes saved," the NSW RFS said. 

Locals expressed their thanks to those involved in battling the blaze.

Almost a dozen fire trucks took a lap of honour at the Nowra Showground on Saturday night.

"Crews from (NSW RFS) and (Fire and Rescue NSW) were asked to close off the 2020 Nowra Show last night. Thank you to everyone who came out," the station brigade posted on Facebook.

Footage posted to the Shoalhaven RFS Facebook page shows crews tooting their horns and blaring their siren to applause from the crowd. 

The Currowan fire shown surging near Termeil on the Princes Highway between Batemans Bay and Ulladulla in December. Source: AAP

"Officially extinguished," Shoalhaven City Council posted on its Facebook page on Saturday night.

"We want to thank all emergency services and for their hard work and putting their lives on the line to help our community."

Firefighters to be farewelled

It comes as Emergency Services Minister David Elliott and RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons were expected to farewell Canadian and American firefighters who helped battle the NSW bushfires.

A farewell event was planned on Sunday morning at the Novotel Sydney Airport.

Three United States airmen were killed in a firefighting plane crash in southern NSW last month.

A property impacted by the Currowan Fire in Conjola Park shown in January. Source: AAP

Captain Ian McBeth, first officer Paul Clyde Hudson and flight engineer Rick DeMorgan Jr died when their water-bombing tanker crashed northeast of Cooma on January 23.

A memorial service was held for the men at the Richmond RAAF base on January 30 before their bodies were flown home.

A total of 39 fires are still burning across NSW on Sunday.

"Good rainfall is being recorded in parts of the state, with a hope it continues to drop where needed most," the RFS posted on Twitter on Friday.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.