Advertisement

Aussie renter's worrying find inside air conditioning: 'THIS IS BAD'

The tenant admitted they were scared to turn on the air conditioning due to the mould inside.

The internet has shouted back a unanimous 'NO' to a humble tenant asking if they were "overreacting" to dense mould found growing inside their air conditioning unit.

A picture of the air conditioner was posted to a Facebook page, showing the unit covered in hidden mould inside its vents.

The tenant explained they had only recently moved into the rental property, and after an urgent email to their real estate agent and having no luck with a "repair man", they had admittedly gone without AC in fear the mould would spread.

The mould can be inside the air conditioning unit.
The mould was spotted deep inside the air conditioning unit mounted to the wall. Source: Facebook and Getty

Amid the seemingly ever-rising number of issues renters are facing at the moment, people responding were quick to reassure the tenant the AC unit's condition was unreasonable and should not be tolerated.

One woman said the "real estate agency [should] organise to get that professionally cleaned," while another warned that leaving the unit in its current state could easily encourage "more mould to grow around the house".

"As someone who has their own business doing this, this is bad," one women responded, before adding that professional cleaners need to keep in mind why removing mould is so important.

"It's people's health that is impacted here."

'Substantial health risks' to mould

Despite it not being "uncommon" to have mould grow in your home, Professor of Microbiology Dee Carter said "allergic type responses" can occur if mould is not removed properly, which can "make people really, really ill" if left untreated.

“Any amount of visible mould is not a good thing, try to ensure there’s no visible mould in the house," the University of Sydney Professor told Yahoo News Australia.

Mould encroached on many homes along the east coast of Australia after the area was subjected to intense rainfall and flooding caused by consecutive La Nina weather events last year, with the Professor herself not immune to fungal growth in her property.

"I got mould in my home during the severe weather in Sydney a year and half ago," she said, sharing that she had to combat mould growing on her books, table and inside her wardrobe.

Water exposure, alongside dust and improper ventilation, encourages mould to grow and removing it is critical for good health.

"As you live with mould, it can start to become an issue and if you’re not remedying it, it will only continue to grow," she warned.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.