A teenager who was hospitalised after vaping for just six months has been told her now has the lungs of an 80-year-old life-long smoker.
Ewan Fisher, from Nottingham in the UK, was 16 when his lungs collapsed the night before his final exams and he had to be hospitalised for 10 weeks, according to Daily Star.
He relied on artificial lungs to survive and developed a condition called hypersensitivity pneumonitis, an inflammation that is triggered when you breathe in chemicals, bacteria or moulds.
Fisher, who is now 19, told the publication the incident has completely changed his life.
“They tried telling me that I’d make a full recovery but it’s nearly four years on and I still really struggle,” he told Daily Star.
“I used to be really healthy. I used to run every night and I can’t do anything any more. When it’s hot it messes with my lungs. I’m on steroids to help them cope.”
The aspiring boxer said his granddad, who has smoked for 40 years, is now fitter than him and he struggles with mental health issues.
“When I was in hospital they said I had the lungs of an 80-year-old life-long smoker and I’d only vaped for five or six months,” he said.
The 19-year-old made headlines in the UK last year when a pictures of him in the hospital were published.
Fisher said he found it easy to buy cigarettes and vapes when he was underage and worries the array of flavours could lure more teens.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.