Advertisement

Alec Baldwin faces revived manslaughter charge in ‘Rust’ cinematographer’s death

Alec Baldwin is again facing an involuntary manslaughter charge related to the 2021 death of a cinematographer on the set of his movie “Rust.”

The indictment from a grand jury in Santa Fe, N.M., comes less than a year after prosecutors dropped charges against the 65-year-old actor last April in the shooting that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.

Special prosecutors Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis said at the time that “new facts” had been revealed that required “further investigation and forensic analysis.” The special prosecutors announced in October that they planned to present the case to a grand jury.

Neither a representative for the special prosecutors nor Baldwin’s legal team immediately responded to ITK’s requests for comment on Friday.

In a statement to Variety, Baldwin’s attorney said, “We look forward to our day in court.”

Hutchins, 42, was killed after authorities say Baldwin fired a live round from a prop gun while rehearsing a scene for the Western film on the New Mexico set.

The production team behind the movie announced in 2022 that it would resume filming following a settlement Baldwin reached with Hutchins’s family. Matthew Hutchins, Halyna Hutchins’s husband, said that he would serve as an executive producer.

The late cinematographer’s family previously claimed in a lawsuit against Baldwin, who starred in and produced the film, and the production team that “reckless conduct and cost-cutting measures” had led to the cinematographer’s “senseless death.”

Baldwin said in a 2022 interview that the fatal shooting had “taken years off” his life and that he would never again use real guns in films.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to The Hill.