Advertisement

Aldi shopper's warning after product explodes: 'Scared me half to death'

An Aussie woman has escaped with just a fright after inadvertently putting her home at risk.

An Aldi shopper has shared her horror after a candle she purchased from the supermarket exploded, highlighting the danger the popular items can pose if not used correctly.

"Don't let your candles burn too far down," the customer posted to a Facebook group for Aldi fans, alongside a photo of a smashed candle jar.

The product in question is a Purewick Lychee & Pomegranate scented candle, which according to the label can be burned for 20 hours. However, there is a recommended time limit for each burn.

Smashed Aldi candle jar
An Aldi customer has learned an important lesson about candle safety. Source: Facebook

According to instructions on Purewick packaging, the candles should never burn for more than three hours at a time, and burning should be stopped when "10mm of wax remains at the bottom".

Several shoppers echoed this safety precaution, clarifying that it applies to any candle contained in glass. "All candles can do this. That's why you don't leave them unattended and don't burn them all the way," one member wrote.

Aussies in the dark

The information came as a surprise to others, who admitted to burning candles beyond their recommended limit. "I burn candles all the time and did not know you never burn them all the way down," one user confessed.

The author of the post said in hindsight, not letting a candle burn right to the bottom makes sense. "It's never happened before though, scared me half to death," she said of the explosion.

Another member shared a cautionary tale of her own, explaining how an unattended candle caused a fire in her bathroom. "The glass exploded, and the blind caught on fire. Lucky I had some friends over who noticed it and we got it under control, otherwise it may have gotten way out of hand. Did a fair bit of damage," she recalled.

Growing problem

Candles are a common cause of house fires in Australia, according to Product Safety Australia, which has recalled several glass-encased candles in recent years due to defects which cause the jars to break.

Data released by the NRMA shows a 15% increase in candle fires since 2020, with 38 home and contents fire claims received by the company in 2022 and another nine incidents in the first six months of this year.

Most of these fires resulted from incorrect usage, prompting NRMA Insurance Claims Executive Manager Natalie Major to urge people to carefully follow instructions on candle packaging.

"Candles are a lovely addition to the home but need to be enjoyed safely. Always follow the product's instructions, never leave candles unattended, or close to open windows, curtains, or walls," Ms Major said.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.