18 million people facing 'all measures' to tackle rising Covid-19 cases

·Associate News Editor
·3-min read

China's southern megacity of Shenzhen vowed to "mobilise all resources" to curb a rising Covid-19 outbreak as the country's unrelenting Covid-zero strategy rolls on.

Authorities have ordered a strict implementation of testing and temperature checks, and lockdowns for COVID-affected buildings, becoming the latest big city to be put on a knife edge with fears of a sweeping lockdown.

Shenzhen, a city of nearly 18 million that neighbours Hong Kong, reported 22 new locally transmitted cases for Wednesday, with the daily count creeping up from single digits earlier this month.

Though the caseload is still negligible by global standards, the slow uptick has pushed Shenzhen authorities to step up vigilance, to comply with the central government's "dynamic zero" policy of containing outbreaks as soon as they emerge.

Shenzhen residents have been told 'all measures' will be rolled out to tackle the spread. Source: Getty
Shenzhen residents have been told 'all measures' will be rolled out to tackle the spread. Source: Getty

Shenzhen has not ordered blanket closure of businesses or tough curbs on people's movement but has sealed residential compounds and buildings identified as being at higher risk.

Officials have been told to make their virus measures more targeted to avoid unnecessary disruption to the economy.

Meng Fanli, head of the city's Communist Party, said Shenzhen will "mobilise all resources and adopt all measures to quickly eliminate the risk of a community spread in key areas, resolutely cut transmission chains, and contain the outbreak as quickly as possible."

In a statement published late on Wednesday, Meng also warned that the city government would sternly hold accountable officials responsible for any negligence that results in the virus spreading.

Out of Wednesday's 22 local infections, 13 were found in Shenzhen's Nanshan district, home to tech giants Tencent and DJI.

Shenzhen has managed to avoid significant lockdowns but residents are fearing further measures. Source: Getty
Shenzhen has managed to avoid significant lockdowns but residents are fearing further measures. Source: Getty

On Thursday, Shenzhen's province of Guangdong reported 18 locally transmitted cases, the third largest share of the nation's 148 new local symptomatic cases. There were a further 678 asymptomatic cases.

In March, when caseloads started to increase from the low double-digits, Shenzhen adopted one week of so-called "slow living", during which residents underwent multiple rounds of testing and largely stayed at home, with one member of each household allowed out every few days for necessities.

That marked one of the shortest lockdowns among Covid-hit cities with populations exceeding 10 million, and softer than that in Wuhan in 2020.

Residents filled with 'anxiety'

Many citizens took pride that Shenzhen's handling of the week-long lockdown, with supermarket shelves remaining stocked and services functioning largely as normal, particularly when compared to the two-month lockdown in Shanghai.

Since March, streetside queues for testing have continued daily. Shenzhen has not locked down whole districts, instead isolating residential compounds where new cases are found.

But the measures have taken a mental toll on some residents.

"Every day I wake up and check the complex chat group with anxiety," said Ella, who runs an education business.

"I just hate how now I have to justify where I'm going, what I'm doing, and sign all this stuff just to leave and come back."

In the northern port city of Tianjin, another two districts, with population totalling more than 1 million, suspended various entertainment venues, following similar Covid curbs announced on Monday in two districts with over 2 million residents.

There were no new deaths nationally, leaving China's total fatalities at 5,226.

As of July 20, mainland China had confirmed 228,180 cases with symptoms - including both local ones and those among international travellers - since the pandemic first struck in December 2019.

With Reuters

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting