Zachary Rolfe tells inquest he's 'bored' of process

The former Northern Territory police officer who fatally shot an Indigenous teenager during an attempted arrest says he's "bored" of the ongoing coronial process.

Then-constable Zachary Rolfe shot Kumanjayi Walker three times in November 2019, in the remote NT community of Yuendumu.

He was acquitted of murder during a five-week trial in 2022 and no longer serves as a police officer.

Kumanjayi Walker (file image)
Kumanjayi Walker was shot three times during an attempted arrest. (HANDOUT/SUPPLIED)

Mr Rolfe told an inquest into the 19-year-old Warlpiri and Luritja man's death he was ready to move on from the coronial process.

"I don't feel any anger at all, I'm just bored of the situation," Mr Rolfe said in response to questioning from NT police lawyer Ian Freckelton about whether he was resentful toward the force.

"I'd like for it to finalise," Mr Rolfe said.

The inquest into Mr Walker's death was initially expected to run for three months but it is now closer to two years since it began in September 2022.

Counsel assisting Peggy Dwyer gave a number of examples where Mr Rolfe had sent body-worn video on to family and friends.

"They're all incidents where there's a fair bit of ego wrapped up in your use of force, is that a fair reflection?" Dr Dwyer asked.

"I can see how you get there," Mr Rolfe replied.

When Dr Dwyer asked if he accepted her statement, Mr Rolfe said he did.

"I reflect my behaviour in videoing that was obviously exceptionally unprofessional," he said.

"Boasting about use of force was extremely unprofessional," Dr Dwyer asked.

Ian Freckelton (file image)
Ian Freckelton asked if there was anything Mr Rolfe would like to say to Mr Walker's family. (Aaron Bunch/AAP PHOTOS)

Mr Rolfe agreed, saying "yes, I accept that".

Dr Freckelton asked Mr Rolfe whether there was anything he would like to communicate to Mr Walker's family and community.

"I'm sorry for the trauma that they've gone through and I'm sorry it's been multiplied over the last few years, I feel very badly for them," Mr Rolfe said.

Mr Rolfe said if he had been in the family's shoes he would be unable to move on until "certain things are clarified".

He went on to say evidence given by use of force expert Senior Sergeant Andrew Barram suggested he had unlawfully killed Mr Walker, but he had only been given "remedial advice" from the NT Police about his actions on the night of Mr Walker's death.

"If I was a member of the community I could never move forward with that because those two facts can not coexist," he said.

"It must be horrible for them, until one of those is established as the truth then they will be unable to move forward."

The inquest will continue on Wednesday, with the NT police commissioner expected to give evidence.