The WWE has strongly refuted allegations regarding sexual assault claims made by late star Ashley Massaro.
Following Massaro’s death on Monday, an affidavit emerged alleging Massaro was told to keep quiet by WWE when she informed members of the organisation about the assault.
WWE released a statement on Thursday claiming that meeting with Massaro never happened, according to PostWrestling.com.
“WWE is saddened by the death of Ashley Massaro, and we reiterate our condolences to her family,” the organisation said.
“However, we regret that her attorney Konstantine Kyros, who filed multiple cases against WWE, lost all of them, and was sanctioned multiple times by the Court for repeated misconduct and false allegations, is using Ashley’s death to further his malicious campaign against WWE by releasing an affidavit that she submitted to the Court and later apologised to WWE for being involved with, so we wish to make certain things crystal clear.
“At no time was Vince McMahon or the management of WWE ever informed by Ashley Massaro or anybody else that she had been sexually assaulted, drugged, raped or sodomised by a military doctor with a nurse standing guard while on a goodwill tour in 2007 to US military bases in Kuwait.
“In fact, if she ever articulated such a claim to WWE, we would have reported it immediately to the Base Commander.
“At no time was there ever a meeting with Vince McMahon, Kevin Dunn, John Laurinaitis or other company executives in which she told them of such a claim and was instructed to keep it quiet.”
In the affidavit, Massaro claimed she was raped by a military doctor while on a WWE trip to Kuwait in 2006.
After being examined by a WWE doctor, Massaro said she had a meeting with WWE owner Vince McMahon — and others within the company — regarding the assault.
In the meeting, Massaro claimed McMahon told her reporting the rape to the proper authorities would ruin WWE’s relationship with the US military.
Massaro’s allegations were part of a larger lawsuit dealing with concussions among wrestlers.
That suit was initially dismissed, but an appeal is set for July.
Massaro reportedly apologised to WWE for her involvement in the lawsuit.
Massaro, 39, who was a fan favourite in the 2000s, was found in her home on Monday.
Her death was classified as “non-criminal” by authorities.
With Yahoo Sports US