A Queensland tradie has been called out for a potentially deadly mistake in her attempts to identify what she thought was a harmless baby snake.
The woman, named only as Lucy, was all smiles as she snapped a selfie of her and the infant reptile, which she sent on to Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers.
What she didn’t realise was that she was holding an eastern brown snake, one of the most venomous in Australia, just centimetres away from her neck.
“Now Lucy seems lovely but she doesn’t know about snakes and thinking that the snake was a virtually harmless little Red-naped snake she picked it up, got a photo and sent it to me to confirm the ID.
“Lucy was wrong!
“You will notice the finger grip she has is terrible and the snake could have easily bitten her if it had decided to.”
He urged anyone who comes across a snake to send in a photo to a local snake catcher before attempting to touch or move it.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.