The Kremlin says its FSB domestic spy service was not involved in any unlawful cyber activity, a day after the US charged two Russian intelligence agents and two others with hacking 500 million Yahoo accounts.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Russia had received no official information about the charges and had gleaned all it knew about the case from media reports. He told reporters on a conference call Moscow hoped to receive official information.
"We have said repeatedly that there can be no discussion of any official involvement of any Russian office, including the FSB (Federal Security Service), being involved in any unlawful cyber activities," said Peskov.
Earlier on Wednesday the US government unsealed charges against two Russian spies and two criminal hackers for allegedly pilfering the accounts in 2014.
The indictments, announced at a news conference in Washington, represent the first time the US government has criminally charged Russian officials for cyber offences.
The content of at least 30 million accounts were accessed as part of a spam campaign and at least 18 people who used other internet service providers, such as Google, were also victimised, the government charged.
The officers of the FSB, which is a successor to the KGB, were identified as Dmitry Dokuchaev and his superior, Igor Sushchin, the government said.