A Woolworths shopper peeling open a new pack of ham was shocked to find a cluster of tiny creatures had beaten him to it.
The customer purchased a pack of Primo ham from the supermarket in Broadmeadows, Victoria, on Wednesday and said he was “absolutely shocked” at what he discovered inside.
Footage shared to Facebook showed an alarming number of yellow creepy crawlies which the shopper suspected were maggots.
“My partner and I purchased this ham and found maggots inside of it,” he wrote to the retailer’s page.
He claimed that when the issue was raised with the store, they were simply told they were eligible for a refund.
“She went and spoke to the supervisor and asked them them if they should remove those items with the same date. However, all they did was offer me another packet,” his post read.
“How is this acceptable? There's a clear duty of care and I don't think selling your customers maggots meets that.”
He argued Woolworths and the supplier, Primo, “should be ashamed”.
The product was well within its “use by” date of February 24 according to a photo he shared of the packaging.
“Be mindful if you have this product,” the shopper wrote.
Many repulsed by horrific ham discovery
Others expressed that they too were repulsed by what they saw.
“This is absolutely disgusting, and shame on the Woolworths employees, I get they can't do much but there should be a protocol or something in place for instances like this,” one wrote in a comment.
“Oh wow that’s disgusting,” another said.
A Woolworths spokesperson said they are aware of the issue.
“We have sent the report on to the supplier for immediate awareness,” the spokesperson said in a statement.
“We also offered a full refund on the product in light of their experience.”
Yahoo News Australia has contacted Primo for comment.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org