Woolworths Discovery Garden plant leaves dog fighting for life

Kamilia Palu
·News Editor
·3-min read

A worried mum has issued a warning over Woolworths’ latest collectables promotion after she claims her pet dog was poisoned by a Discovery Garden herb.

Natasha Wilson, from Lilli Pilli in the Sutherland Shire, said her Maltese terrier Monty was left fighting for life after eating one of the seedlings, which are described as not suitable for consumption on their packaging.

Not only did Monty swallow the “bunching onion” seeds, he also devoured the soil pod and biodegradable pot.

Monty the Maltese terrier walks with his owner down the street.
Monty, a Maltese terrier, became extremely unwell after consuming a Woolworths Discovery Garden plant. Source: 9News

"I didn't know whether he would make it to be honest. He was very, very sick," Ms Wilson told 9News.

Monty began vomiting repeatedly and was rushed from the vet to emergency where he was given x-rays and ultrasounds.

The pup’s medical bills totalled a staggering $3500, which Ms Wilson had to withdraw from her mortgage.

"We'd just like to warn other pet owners to be really careful with these products, they're very alluring to dogs and look like dog biscuits," she said, referring to the compacted soil pellet that comes with each plant.

Thankfully, Monty has made a full recovery.

Woolworths says seedlings not suitable for pets to consume

A Woolworths spokesperson said that there are "many household and gardening items that can be toxic for pets, including common pantry items like chocolate".

The warning which can be found on Woolworths Discovery Garden seedlings which says they should not be consumed. Source: Woolworths
The warning which can be found on Woolworths Discovery Garden seedlings which says they should not be consumed. Source: Woolworths

“The Woolworths Discovery Garden seedlings have undergone extensive quality testing and while the herbs and vegetables are safe for human consumption, customers should not feed or allow their pets to consume the seedlings, flowers, herbs, or vegetables in the collection," the spokesperson said in a statement.

"Customers should consult their veterinarian if they are unsure what foods are suitable for their pets."

Woolworths Discovery Garden seedlings can't be eaten by pets

Last month, several of the seedlings were identified as toxic to cats and dogs - including bunching onion.

There are 24 herbs, flowers and vegetable seedlings available. Woolworths customers able to claim one pod for each $30 spent in one transaction.

A marketing image of the Woolworths Discovery Garden, with 24 herbs and flowers on display.
Not all the plants in the Woolworths Discovery Garden are pet-friendly. Source: Woolworths/Supplied

A Woolworths spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia in February the supermarket doesn't encourage pet owners to feed furry family members from the Discovery Garden, but assured fans the seedlings' produce is safe for humans to consume.

"While the herbs and vegetables in the Woolworths Discovery Garden are perfectly safe for human consumption, we discourage customers from feeding or allowing their pets to consume the flowers, herbs, or vegetables in the collection," a Woolworths spokesperson said.

List of seedlings toxic to pets

  • Dianthus: is considered mildly toxic to dogs and cats

  • Poppy: toxic to dogs and cats

  • Lavender: toxic to dogs and cats

  • Swan River Daisy: toxic to dogs and cats

  • Bunching Onion: toxic to dogs and cats

  • Cherry Tomato: plants and unripe fruit are mildly toxic to dogs and cats

  • Oregano: mildly toxic to dogs and cats

  • Chives: mildly toxic to dogs and cats

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.