Woman's gruesome injuries after eating icy pole

·4-min read

A woman is warning others after an icy pole left her with intense burns all over her mouth.

Maria Cadena, 27, a digital marketer from Puebla, Mexico, was enjoying a festival in Mexico City when she decided to cool down with a sweet treat.

As the scorching heat was beating down, she eagerly took up the offer of a free popsicle.

Within seconds, Maria's mouth was stuck to the icy pole and she experienced a burning sensation but the feeling soon passed.

However, the next morning she woke up with a swollen mouth and panic began to set in.

Maria Cadena eating the icy pole that left her with burns.
Maria Cadena was left with painful burns all over her mouth after eating an icy pole. Source: Jam Press/Australscope

“I woke up the next morning completely swollen,” Maria told Jam Press.

“I researched and found that ice sticks to the skin due to the temperature shock between the skin and the popsicle.

“A lady who helped me get the popsicle off threw me a tequila shot [as well] and with this coming into contact with the wound, this burned my skin even more.

“I was the only one who ordered a taro-flavoured lollipop and all my friends ate theirs without getting stuck.

“I finished the lolly because I was so thirsty but I did feel my lips getting inflamed inside.”

Woman reveals large blisters

Maria decided to share her traumatic ordeal on TikTok, where she has since racked up 13.2 million views and over 1.5 million likes.

In the clip, she begins by pointing to her bottom lip which appears to be covered in dead skin and white blisters.

Maria Cadena with blisters all over her mouth.
Maria Cadena shared photos of her blisters online. Source: Jam Press/Australscope

She reveals a group photo with her friends while at the festival, before pointing to a man in the background who she claims is the man who served her.

As she reenacts biting and licking a popsicle, she shows a picture of the ice lolly attached to her bottom lip.

Unaware of how severe the situation was, her friends were laughing and making jokes, before revealing a concerned woman stepped in to help.

In a bid to relieve her discomfort, she claims that the woman gave her a tequila shot – but soon, her lips and tongue started to burn and swell.

As the video comes to an end, she shows her lips, which have doubled in size, followed by large blisters covering the inside of her mouth.

Maria Cadena before being burned. Source: Jam Press/Australscope
Maria Cadena said she was handed a tequila shot to help but believes it made the injury worse. Source: Jam Press/Australscope

TikTok users share similar experiences

Users shared their similar experiences in the comments, with many offering their words of support.

“Hey, the same thing happened to me but it doesn’t look like that, could it have been the tequila?” one viewer said.

Another person added: “I hope you are doing well nice girl.”

“OUCH!!” someone else commented.

“The same thing happened to my sister,” one person wrote.

“It happened to me but it got stuck on my tongue, they put them in dry ice that’s why it has that effect, it’s horrible,” another viewer added.

“The same thing happened to me years ago with a popsicle, I ate it in winter and blood came out of my tongue!” someone else wrote.

Luckily, the discomfort only lasted a week and now, Maria's fully recovered – thanking her dad for his expert help and advice.

“My dad is a doctor and he took care of me,” she said.

“He prescribed me a special cream for the burn and told me to keep the area clean, moisturised and to eat carefully.

“Since this has happened to me, I have seen so many similar cases. Be careful when buying popsicles and make sure they aren’t too frozen.

“If they stick to the palette [or mouth] use water to detach, not alcohol.”

Amy Walters/Jam Press/Australscope

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting