'I nearly gagged': Woman's 'revolting' discovery after cutting cake

A woman has taken to social media to share her disgust after she cut into a cake to find it had been completely overtaken with mould.

“That green stuff you can see is mould, the inside of the cake was completely green. Apparently it was a vanilla sponge cake,” the woman wrote on Facebook.

The woman said the cake had been purchased by her husband from Michel's Patisserie in Picton on Friday afternoon and refrigerated 20 minutes later.

When it came time to serve the cake on Sunday night, it left the customers “gagging”.

“I nearly gagged when I placed it on my plate and dust came from it,” the woman said.

The post quickly went viral, attracting hundreds of comments online.

The customer bought the cake on Friday afternoon, by Sunday evening her family was left 'gagging'. Source: Facebook

“This is absolutely revolting!” one person responded.

“Thats disgusting, that cake would have to be at least a few months old to look that bad,” another person added.

The customer said she was quite concerned as before cutting into the cake, her 11-month-old daughter had eaten some of the icing off the cake.

Many people suggested she contact the owner of the store to report it immediately.

The woman said after contacting the owner of the store, she was offered a refund but felt that she needed to take the matter higher.

“I contact the retail food group in which the GM of Michels contacted me and offered a refund and a $50 voucher her for their store,” she wrote.

The woman became concerned because her young daughter had eaten some of the icing just hours before. Source: Facebook

Michel's Patisserie told Yahoo News Australia that after conducting an internal review, they found this was a “one-off isolated occurrence” and haven’t received any other complaints.

The store said the cake was made by a third party and delivered less that 24 hours before the customer purchased it.

“This cake was delivered by the supplier to the store less than 24 hours before it was sold. It was already fully decorated meaning the store owner was unable to see the inside of the cake before it was sold,” a spokesperson for the store said.

Michel's Patisserie said they were dedicated to making sure no customer ever receives another nasty surprise again.

“Our number one priority remains customer safety and quality and we are working with this supplier to ensure that this does not happen again.”

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.