Cat, owner carried out of Vic factory fire

Luke Costin

A woman and her pet cat have been carried out of a factory during a blaze in Melbourne.

Firefighters found Babu the tabby trapped inside an hour after rescuing the woman when the fire broke out inside the Brunswick East disused textile factory.

The cat is safe, well and back in the arms of its owners, MFB says.

The woman's partner was outside when firefighters arrived.

None of the trio were harmed.

Firefighters say the blaze was sparked when a heater fell off a wall and onto a couch.

Flames then spread to nearby combustible items.

MFB says the old textile factory on the corner of Albion and Inverness streets was being cleared and prepared for sale.

"With winter well and truly here MFB urges anyone using a heater to ensure flammable items are kept at a safe distance of one metre," an MFB spokeswoman said in a statement.