'NOT AGAIN': Woman finds pin hidden inside Coles strawberry

Brianne Tolj
·2-min read

A Coles shopper says she discovered a pin in a punnet of strawberries she bought from a Cairns store.

The woman’s daughter took to Facebook on Friday afternoon to warn others.

“My mum purchased some strawberries from Coles Mount Sheridan and got a pin inside one,” she wrote.

She said the supermarket giant and store had been notified and warned other shoppers to “be careful”.

Images attached to her post show what appears to be a long thin pin or needle hidden inside a strawberry that had been cut open.

A pin can be seen protruding from the strawberry after the top was cut off.
A Coles shopper says she discovered a pin in a packet of strawberries she bought from a Cairns store. Source: supplied

Coles told Yahoo News Australia they have spoken with the woman to follow up their complaint, and take the safety of food seriously.

“We have worked with our strawberry suppliers to implement additional control measures to ensure strawberries are inspected before they are sent to supermarkets.

“We will follow up with our supplier to investigate the matter.”

The Facebook warning attracted almost 500 comments from outraged locals.

“How can this still be happening?” one person said, referring to the food crisis in 2018 when there were 186 reports of food contamination, many of which were copycat needle sabotage stunts.

Some people said they had purchases strawberries from the same Coles store and were now worried.

Others said this is why they now always cut their fruit before eating.

“Not again, surely,” one woman wrote.

“As if people don't have enough stress to deal with. Anything store bought will need to be monitored carefully and anyone caught tampering with food needs some very harsh repercussions,” another person said.

A pin with a white pearl top next to the strawberry the six-year-old ate.
Earlier this month a Queensland mum said her daughter, six, ate a strawberry with a needle in it. Source: Facebook

Earlier this month a Queensland mum warned others after her six-year-old daughter was rushed to hospital after she ate a strawberry with a needle in it.

Sophie Mitchell, from Cairns, bought a punnet of strawberries from Coles in Earlville when her daughter Madison took a bite on Monday night.

“Everyone be aware Madison was up at emergency tonight after eating a strawberry with a needle in it,” she wrote.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

w
w