A Sydney woman has discovered a deadly stowaway hiding amongst her Coles groceries.
Mother Yvette Shore made a routine trip to her local Coles in Wentworth Point in western Sydney on Wednesday and purchased a packet of kale in addition to other items.
When she pulled the greens out from her fridge, she was horrified to find a deadly redback spider lurking under the plastic packaging.
“I went to grab it from the bench top and I could see something moving inside the packaging,” she recalled to Yahoo7 News.
“I was freaking out when I saw it was a redback spider.”
Ms Shore managed to keep the spider contained in the plastic wrapping and took the venomous arachnid outside out of harms way.
She revealed her discovery left her shaken at the thought of the spider getting to her four-month-old daughter.
“The rest of he night I kept feeling creeped out and wondered what it would’ve been like if I got bitten or even eaten it or if it crawled off and bit my four-month-old baby,” she said.
Ms Shore said her discovery was a poignant reminder of the importance of washing fruit and vegetables from the supermarket.
“I guess that’s why they say wash before use,” she said.
While the spiders, which originated in South Australia, are considered extremely venomous, there has only been one known death since the introduction of anti-venom in 1956.
A Coles spokesperson told Yahoo7 News they’d be able to look into the matter once the customer had been in touch.
“Coles takes the quality of all our products seriously and has spoken to the customer to follow up their complaint,” the spokesperson said.
“As always we encourage customers to return any item they’re not 100 per cent happy with to their nearest store for a full refund or replacement.”
Ms Shore later returned to the store on Friday and received a full refund for the product.
Just last month, an Aldi customer found a redback spider in her grapes.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.