SIGN UP for our newsletter ✉️ :

Get the latest stories delivered straight to you

Woman to defend cream crepe attack on NT chief minister

A woman accused of assaulting the Northern Territory chief minister with a crepe causing a black eye and a media storm intends to plead not guilty.

Accompanied by more than a dozen supporters, Suzanne Lee Milgate represented herself facing charges of aggravated assault and harassment in Darwin Local Court on Monday.

Judge Tanya Fong Lim asked Milgate whether she had a lawyer representing her.

NT Chief Minister Natasha Fyles (file image)
NT Chief Minister Natasha Fyles was left with a slightly blackened eye after the market incident.

"I plead not guilty," Milgate replied.

"Yes, I know that ... but have you made an appointment to see a lawyer?" Judge Fong Lim repeated.

"I seek a trial and the trial to be heard by my peers," Milgate responded.

"I'm not going to give you a trial until you get a lawyer because that lawyer may not be available," the judge said.

Milgate then said she did have a lawyer who was "down south" but had no availability until the end of February.

Judge Fong Lim grew frustrated, telling Milgate: "You won't be getting a date in February".

Suzi Milgate (left) arrives at the Darwin Local Court
Milgate (left) was filmed allegedly shoving a cream-covered crepe in Ms Fyles's face.

Milgate was charged in September after she was filmed allegedly shoving a cream-covered crepe in Chief Minister Natasha Fyles's face at Nightcliff markets.

The footage was shared widely on social media and Milgate at the time said she was driven to frustration when she tried to raise a health issue with Ms Fyles during her time as health minister.

"I said my husband needs an exemption from his work to get the jabs because he's had a stroke and he's waiting for a heart operation ... and she wrote back 'not worthy of a response'," she told Sky News in September.

Ms Fyles was left with a slightly blackened eye and Milgate was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and using a carriage service to harass.

Milgate would not tell the court who her lawyer is but agreed to give prosecutors the details so they could begin planning for the hearing.

Outside court, media asked when she would reveal her lawyer's name.

"Just wait to see," she said smiling.

She is set to return to court on February 5.