A young boy has been airlifted to hospital after suffering a suspected Irukandji jellyfish sting at Fraser Island on Wednesday, in what was the area’s third encounter with the deadly sea creature this week.
The boy was reportedly swimming on the island’s western shoreline when he was stung just after 1pm, a Royal Automobile Club of Queensland spokesperson told Yahoo7 News.
The primary school-aged child was stabilised, before being flown to Hervey Bay Hospital for further treatment.
RACQ LifeFlight Rescue is now urging Queensland holiday-makers to take extra precautions when swimming at the state’s beaches.
RACQ LifeFlight Rescue Chief Medical Officer, Dr Allan Mackillop, said before heading to the beach, people should educate themselves about what to do, if they’re stung.
“Always have vinegar on you,” Dr Mackillop said.
“The use of vinegar, applied to the impacted area and then gently remove the tentacles once the vinegar has been applied.”