A NSW person aged in their 30s is one of seven people in intensive care for Covid-19 in what has been called a “wake up call”.
The state reported 27 new cases of Covid-19 on Wednesday with a lockdown which was due to end late Friday extended by another seven days to quell the surge in cases.
Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant told reporters the case in ICU is a “bit of a wake up call to young people”.
“So the fact that 37 patients have been admitted to hospital should indicate to the community the fact that Covid is, including the Delta strain, is not a mild disease,” she said.
“It can be mild in some but for many it can lead to hospitalisation and death.”
She added 14 of the 37 admitted to hospital are under the age of 55 “which should dispel the myth that this is something that only impacts on the elderly”.
“Of those, eight are under the age of 35. Again, dispelling that myth that it only leads to hospitalisation for the elderly,” Dr Chant said.
‘Young people don’t need a wake up call’
The CHO’s comments had a few people on Twitter frustrated particularly as many Australians aged under 40 are having issues obtaining vaccinations. Last week, Queensland’s Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young told the media under-40s should not get AstraZeneca.
“The young people don’t need a wake up call, they need vaccinations,” one woman tweeted.
Another woman called it a “travesty” while others called it “insulting”.
“Surely this is not a wake up call for anyone who’s been paying any attention to the events of the last 12 months in other countries,” another woman tweeted.
The limousine driver at the centre of the outbreak is aged in his 60s and is eligible for the AstraZeneca vaccine. He had been transporting airline crew from Sydney Airport.
But he told A Current Affair he chose not to get vaccinated due to a family history of blood clotting.
His infection and the subsequent outbreak have been blamed on government policy.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org