WA avoids lockdown for now, bans AFL crowd

·3-min read

West Australians have avoided another coronavirus lockdown for now but a "massive" task awaits contact tracers as they work through new information.

Premier Mark McGowan on Sunday confirmed no new locally acquired cases had been detected, 24 hours after a hotel quarantine security guard and two of his housemates tested positive.

Contact tracers are continuing to work through the movements of the three men but all 16 close contacts identified by WA Health as "high risk" have returned negative tests.

Results are pending for a further four close contacts, while another 136 contacts are deemed casual or yet to be classified.

The guard and his seven housemates were moved to hotel quarantine after he returned the positive result. Close contacts must also quarantine for 14 days.

It emerged on Sunday that one of the guard's infected housemates had attended a cooking school on April 27 and 28 with about 20 other people at the Perth College of Business and Technology.

The other students are being contacted and advised to isolate until they have returned negative tests, along with other casual contacts.

Sunday's AFL western derby between West Coast and Fremantle at Optus Stadium was played behind closed doors, with the risk of up to 45,000 spectators travelling to the stadium deemed too high.

Nightclubs will close for the next week and all Perth and Peel residents must wear masks indoors and outdoors.

"We need people to get tested and we need everyone to be wearing your masks," the premier said.

"I want to avoid going into lockdown again. I know how much it can impact people's lives and businesses. But if we need to go back into lockdown, we will."

Mr McGowan said the interim restrictions that had been in place in Perth and Peel following a snap three-day lockdown last weekend - including attendance limits at hospitality venues - had significantly reduced the risk of a wider outbreak.

"Had what happened in the last couple of days occurred three weeks ago, we would have gone into lockdown immediately," he said.

The guard in his 20s worked at the Pan Pacific Hotel between April 24 and 26 and tested positive on Saturday.

On his days off work from April 27 to 30, he moved through the community going shopping, seeing friends and visiting Mirrabooka Mosque.

The guard had received his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine just days earlier.

His two infected housemates - a roommate and a guest from Canberra - had both been working as food delivery drivers.

They each worked on April 29 and 30 and could have been infectious since the 27th.

But public health advice suggested the risk was low given they were required to wear face masks and had minimal contact with customers.

Authorities are working through which restaurants they attended to collect food and if any are determined to be potential exposure sites, they will be listed on the healthywa.wa.gov.au website.

More than 3000 tests were completed on Saturday.

"We are not out of the woods as yet," Mr McGowan said.

"Our contact tracing team has a massive job underway today."

The security guard, wearing a mask, worked on the same floor as two travellers - one from the US and one from Indonesia - who were transferred to the Pan Pacific Hotel on April 24 and tested positive.

Authorities have reviewed CCTV footage and are yet to identify any concerns.