Western Australia's government has blamed activists for putting up homeless people in a Perth hotel, declaring it will not pay the bill despite earlier promising to accommodate rough sleepers from a dismantled tent city.
The owners of Perth City Apartment Hotel say the standoff has left them with no choice but to ask more than a dozen homeless guests - including young families, pregnant mothers and a woman who gave birth last week - to leave.
In a statement, co-owner Eddie Kamil said he had been waiting more than three weeks for payment.
But Premier Mark McGowan on Tuesday said the bookings had been made by "activists" and not the government.
"We offered right at the very beginning that we would work with every one of those people to make sure that they were connected to the appropriate services and appropriate accommodation," he told reporters.
"Clearly some of the activists involved, Extinction Rebellion people, those sort of anarchists, intervened in this process and did this ... they should meet that cost."
WA's Department of Communities also issued a statement claiming the bookings had been "supported" by homelessness advocate Jesse Noakes.
Mr Noakes has denied booking anyone into the hotel.
"The only people who promised to pay for everybody from the Fremantle camp is the WA government ... they are now trying to pull out of that cast iron guarantee," he said.
"It is risky and reckless to abandon vulnerable people, including heavily pregnant women and young families, on the street and in parks in spite of a guarantee they would be sheltered. That's what this government has done."
Authorities last month dismantled a homeless camp in Fremantle.
Emergency accommodation was offered to 67 rough sleepers, including temporary hotel stays.
Housing Minister Peter Tinley said the government would support anyone displaced by the camp's dismantling.
"Everyone's getting accommodated and a longer-term solution will be provided for them ... (it lasts) as long as it needs to," he said last month.
Department of Communities acting executive director Glenn Mace said 36 of the Fremantle rough sleepers remained in hotels at the government's expense.
Nine people had been assisted to move into longer-term supported accommodation and two had gone into public housing.
A further five were helped to return to country, while three people were found to already be public housing tenants.
"All accommodation currently being provided in government-funded hotel support has been and will continue to be paid in advance," he said.
"This is dependent upon individuals being willing to engage with service providers."
Mr Mace said 75 residents from a previous tent city in East Perth had been helped into either short or long-term accommodation or been returned to country.
WA Labor recently announced a $14 million plan to house up to 100 rough sleepers at the Perth City YHA hostel on Wellington Street.
It has since been revealed the government failed to secure the lease for the property after having inspected it late last year.