Residents in the bushfire-ravaged town of Yarloop in Western Australia's South West, where 128 homes were lost and two people died, claim they were not told about the imminent danger until it was too late.
The Yarloop Volunteer Bushfire Brigade vented their frustration on Facebook, claiming they received no assistance, door-knocks or warnings for people to leave.
"We were left by the hierarchy to defend our town on our (own) unfortunately we lost," the brigade posted.
"To those of you who want to whinge that we weren't there, be thankful you have a house left, I and most of my fellow firies and townspeople don't."
Kate Barry, who has lived in Yarloop for 20 years, lost her house and agreed there was confusion leading up to the evacuation.
"I only knew how bad it was because my friend - a volunteer firefighter - came and told me to get out," she told AAP on Sunday.
But Ms Barry said the community, which had a population of about 545, was strong.
"Everyone is upset, they can't comprehend it. I can't until I stand in front of it and actually see it," she said.
"We're all going to stick together and we're planning on doing a convoy back when we're allowed back in so we can support each other."
Two men, aged 73 and 77, are believed to have died in the blaze after human remains were found in two burnt-out homes on Saturday evening.
Police said on Sunday that a third person feared missing had been found alive and everyone was now accounted for, but urged people to register with the Australian Red Cross.
Work continues to formally identify the two victims, but Malcolm Taylor is believed to be one of them.
A family member told AAP that when she last spoke with the 73-year-old on Thursday evening, he said he was staying put.
An emergency warning remains in place for east of Waroona, Hamel, Yarloop and surrounding areas.
Favourable conditions have seen the alert level drop to a watch and act for Waroona, Harvey, Cookernup, Preston Beach and Lake Clifton.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services says weather conditions are expected to assist firefighters over the coming days, with the blaze now contained but not controlled.
More than 72,600 hectares have been burnt since the lightning-sparked fire began on Wednesday.
At least 143 properties have been destroyed, including the 128 houses and sheds, caravans and community buildings.
Four firefighters have been injured, while a NSW contingent, including 60 firefighters, is now assisting fatigued local crews.
Doreen Jones, from Emergency Wildlife Care Bunbury, said the centre was receiving animals, including possums and joeys, that had suffered burns and smoke inhalation.
She was also concerned the echidna population near Yarloop had been decimated.
Thousands are without power and several roads remain closed, with dairy farmers forced to dump thousands of litres of milk.
Monetary donations can be made to the Lord Mayor's Distress Relief Fund.