A Perth crane operator has been ordered to pay more than $18,000 after a worker suffered electrical burns when the machinery got too close to power lines.
Bradley David Lemmon, a partner in the firm Mobicrane WA, was working on a building site in Cottesloe in April 2015 when he failed to see the overhead high voltage power lines that ran along the street.
He began operating the boom while a worker stood near a front outrigger and held the lifting chains while waiting for the crane's hook to be lowered.
The worker suffered electrical burns to his hands and feet when the closeness of the equipment caused an arc flash, and could not work for one month because he could not wear work boots.
Lemmon also suffered an electric shock.
After pleading guilty in the Perth Magistrates Court to failing to provide and maintain a safe work environment for employees, Lemmon was fined $15,000 and ordered to pay costs of $3577.