Months after an abattoir became Victoria's biggest cluster during the first COVID-19 outbreak, the virus is a major problem again at several meat processing plants.
Some staff at the JBS meat factory stopped work on Tuesday morning until the company could assure their safety, but were ordered back to their jobs.
The cluster of 76 coronavirus cases at the Brooklyn abattoir prompted cold storage workers to down tools before a health and safety inspection was conducted.
The United Workers Union, which represents 150 of the more than 1200 workers at the factory, said the abattoir has failed to address safety concerns.
But a WorkSafe site inspection found no imminent risk to worker safety.
The union also said some workers had been left without any income while isolating or had to draw on their annual leave.
JBS said the AMIEU meat workers' union, which represents many other workers at the factory, was satisfied they had done everything possible to make the workplace COVID-safe.
"JBS Australia has worked hand-in-glove with DHHS to make the Brooklyn facility as COVID safe as it's possible to be," a JBS spokesman said.
"Since the facility's temporary closure, our entire JBS Brooklyn workforce has been tested for COVID-19."
Meanwhile, an outbreak of 50 cases linked to Australian Lamb Company in Colac is behind a big proportion of the cases in the regional area.
A smaller outbreak of eight cases was linked to pork processor Diamond Valley Pork in Laverton North.
Opposition deputy leader Peter Walsh said the failure to bring coronavirus outbreaks at meatworks under control threatened the supply of food to supermarket shelves.
He claimed 11 meat processing sites have been linked to outbreaks, recording 315 positive cases between them.
The health department has been contacted for clarification on these numbers.
"Cedar Meats was the first cluster that got out of control because the government didn't act quickly enough, but still we see this happening again and again," Mr Walsh said.
An outbreak at the Cedar Meats abattoir was the biggest cluster in the first wave, with 111 people infected during May.
Premier Daniel Andrews on Tuesday stressed that people who were going to work sick were the "biggest driver" of the state's second wave.
He had previously flagged the possibility some industries could be shut down if virus numbers continued to remain high.
Victoria recorded 384 more coronavirus cases and another six deaths on Tuesday.